Subject: [lmap] Fwd: draft-ietf-lmap-use-cases status after the IESG telechat

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 16:59:09 +0100

Dear all,

I just realized that I only sent this email to the authors.
This might useful for our interim meeting today.

Regards, Benoit

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	draft-ietf-lmap-use-cases status after the IESG telechat
Date: 	Fri, 05 Dec 2014 14:40:27 +0100
From: 	Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
To: 	[email-masked] 
<[email-masked]>

Dear all,

Here is the status after the IESG telechat.

There are 2 ABSTAINs on the document: let's not spend time on this. Some 
of us believe this is an useful document to publish.

_Pete's DISCUSS:_
Dwelling on how markets should be regulated is not the right way. On top 
of that, the text is too US+Europe-centric. Changing the text to, let's 
say, "this is what some people are thinking" or "the community believes"
Please engage with Pete on text proposal.

Kathleen's DISCUSS:

 From Kathleen: The next part of my sentence finished and expanded the thought, so
this shouldn't be pulled out separately.By traffic being blocked, I
was referring to the practice of network security folks from blocking
probes as it can provide a means to gather information about an
organizations network, operational practices, paths to the network
that can be attacked (DoS), in other words possible ways to compromise
a network.  This is probably similar to your phrasing of "gaming the
system".

I asked Kathleen the type of text she had in mind
Answer: not blocking so much as reconnaissance... message from Philip 
explained use of "business confidentiality"... I'd ask to expand the 
text on that
I explained that the business confidentiality is more about ISPs not 
happy to share their own information
Kathleen mentioned it should be an extra bullet point then, and that 
this exposure could enable DoS-attack, etc
Please engage with Kathleen on text proposal.

There are also others COMMENT to deal with.
The best way to proceed is to engage in the email discussion before 
posting a new draft version.

Regards, Benoit