Subject: [lmap] protocol selection criteria questions

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2015 15:58:15 +0100

Hi,

a couple of questions that may be needed to answer before it is
possible to answer some of the questions:

- How is 'complete instruction set' defined?

- How is 'status update' defined?

- How do you define overhead? If protocol X encodes instructions in
  say JSON but protocol Y encodes instructions in say XML, is the
  different encoding considered in the overhead calculation or is the
  overhead strictly the protocol message overhead without the
  instruction / report encoding?

- How is a 'report' defined?

- Do we assume certain MTU sizes when we are asked to calculate # of
  messages?

- Do we have to enable security for the calculation?

- Do we care about the session establishment overhead?

- Is it correct to assume that session establishment is not counted
  into things like CP-DIFF-1, CP-DIFF-2, CP-DIFF-5, CP-DIFF-6 etc.

- How are we going to measure 'widely used'?

- How about security layers that may do transparent compression before
  encryption - is it allow to enable such mechanisms or not?

If we go down this path of protocol selection, we may end up having to
sort out many little details...

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>