Subject: [lmap] Learning MA Capabilities

From: Ron Stana <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 20:53:17 -0400

LMAP Team,

We want the MA to provide information to the Controller that will be used
to characterize/limit the Measurement Tasks that are later executed.

Examples include:

   - licenses for optional features
   - max test bandwidth
   - total number of simultaneous tests and data streams (based on VM
   resources for virtual devices)

This appears to be information that LMAP suggests can be provided as part
of getting the capabilities from the MA.  I have two questions based on
version 9 of the LMAP Information Model.

1) Which API should be used to pass this information from the MA to the
Controller?

   - ietf-lmap-control:lmap-state seems logical however there doesn't
   appear to be a place for this type of information in it
   - One possibility is to define a 'capability task' whose
   ietf-lmap-control:lmap/tasks/task/option contains the data.  The controller
   could then GET the ietf-lmap-control:lmap object to the values.  However, I
   am not sure if tasks were envisioned to return data in this manner.

2) While looking into how to solve this issue we found
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7223.  Has any consideration been given to
adding the 'interfaces' or 'interfaces-state' objects defined in that
document to ietf-lmap-control/lmap-state?  This would partially address the
issue above but more importantly being able to get general RX and TX
statistics on the test interface would be useful for general MA
troubleshooting.

Regards,
Ron