Subject: [ltans] Archival of signed content

From: Glen Vermeylen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 18:20:26 +0200

Hello,

On the off-chance that aynone still reads this list, I may as well ask my
question .

I'm making a preliminary implementation of the XMLERS spec and it seems to
me explicit support for long term archival of signed content is out of
scope?
What I mean by this that I have a relative large and rapid growing
collections of signed PDFs for which long term proof must be maintained.
However rfc6283 seems to only describe the datastructure for maintaining
the evidence of the initial and subsequent archivetimestamps, meaning
providing revocation info on any signing certificates is to be decided by
the implementor.  Or am I missing something obvious?

If this is the case, it seems the archival process consists of multiple
steps:

* stage any archive objects for LTA + provide info on signing certificates
(specify file type or provide certificates + chain info or ....)
* at start of inital HashTree creation, obtain full chain + revocation info
for each signed dataobject, and add this to the archive object
plus side on this is that for identical signing certificates on many
dataobjects (this is my case), these revocation infos can be obtained once
and cached
* Create + timestamp HashTree
* From then on, the process for re-timestamping and hashtree renewal can be
followed as described in the spec.

>From this follows that a validator of an EvidenceRecord for an
ArchiveObject must obtain
* All dataobjects, including the revocation info ( in a proprietary format
? Any suggestions on this?)
* EvidenceRecord xml structure

Is this understanding correct?

Many thanks,
Glen Vermeylen.