Subject: RE: Feedback requested (re MDHCP)

From: [email-masked] (Greg Rabil)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 09:02:00 -0500

1) Do you think that you might implement an MDHCP client or server?

Yes, Lucent (Quadritek) is considering building a MDHCP server as a future
development effort.  We have not discussed building a client.

2) If you were to do so, would you attempt to share code with your DHCP client
or server?

Most likely.

3) Do you think that we should continue to maintain a similarity between MDHCP
and DHCP? Why or why not?

As long as the functionality is not hindered, it seems like keeping them similar
may speed the acceptance/implementation amongst the vendors.

A. Gregory Rabil
Sr. Software Engineer/Project Leader
Lucent Technologies (Quadritek)
IP Services Product Group
[email-masked]
[email-masked]

-----Original Message-----
From:	Ralph Droms [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Wednesday, November 25, 1998 5:14 PM
To:	Multiple recipients of list
Subject:	Feedback requested (re MDHCP)

Ralph Droms tells me that this is where the real DHCP implementors hang out.
Last week, I sent the following email to the dhcp-v4 list and have received
very
little response. I would greatly appreciate any input you folks could provide.

I am particularly interested in answers to the last question:

   Do you think that we should continue to maintain a similarity between MDHCP
   and DHCP? Why or why not?

Answers from people that have actually implemented DHCP are especially
appreciated. Information like "Maintaining this similarity will save me
time and
reduce code size because..." or "This similarity stuff doesn't help me at all
because..." You can send email to me directly (email:[email-masked])
or to
the malloc mailing list (email:[email-masked]).

Thanks,

Steve Hanna

------------- Begin Forwarded Message -------------

Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 17:27:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Steve Hanna <shanna@bcn>
Subject: MDHCP review
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-MD5: PwfXRVsXgUPMfpvxfikIJw==

In the malloc working group, we have been working on a protocol that hosts may
use to allocate multicast addresses (or perform other related operations).
This
protocol, MDHCP, is described in draft-ietf-malloc-mdhcp-01.txt.

Originally, this protocol was a minor variation on DHCP and the idea was
that a
DHCP client or server implementation could also serve as an MDHCP
implementation
with minor changes. Over time, the protocol has become more and more different
from DHCP (fields removed from header, different option space). However, we
have
attempted to keep the protocol similar to DHCP in order to allow code sharing.

The question has arisen within the malloc working group: "Should we
continue to
maintain a similarity between MDHCP and DHCP?" Eliminating this design
constraint would allow us to make MDHCP simpler and more efficient.
However, it
would also eliminate any remaining hope for sharing code between MDHCP and
DHCP
implementations.

I would like to ask people who have implemented DHCP clients or servers to
examine the current MDHCP draft (available from
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-malloc-mdhcp-01.txt) and answer
the following questions.

1) Do you think that you might implement an MDHCP client or server?

2) If you were to do so, would you attempt to share code with your DHCP client
or server?

3) Do you think that we should continue to maintain a similarity between MDHCP
and DHCP? Why or why not?

Please send answers to the malloc mailing list ([email-masked]).

Thanks,

Steve Hanna
malloc WG co-chair

------------- End Forwarded Message -------------