Subject: malloc service model (was: MDHCP review)

From: Mikhail Smirnov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 13:23:18 +0100

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:29:21 -0500 (EST) Mike Carney wrote:

<...> 
> IMHO, I think the malloc group would be better off considering a protocol whose
> primary goal is the delivery and management of multicast addresses in the way
> that meets the needs of the folks that deal in multicast services. 
<...>
> See my above statements. I believe you should be looking at what's best for
> the multicast community as a whole, taking into account the folks (your
> customers) that'll likely be dealing with your protocol(s) on a day to day
> basis.

I think these thoughts are in line with the malloc objectives:
"...mechanisms for enforcing policies for multicast address allocation may be 
considered ..." [http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/malloc-charter.html].

Do we have any document fixing malloc's current understanding of what
"the needs of the folks that deal in multicast services" are? I mean how the group
understands what are the requirements, usage scenarios, limitations, etc.,
basically what is the malloc service model?

Thanks in advance for any hint

Michael

---

From: Ross Finlayson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 1998 21:40:53

>basically what is the malloc service model?

Yes, the MALLOC "abstract API" document - "draft-ietf-malloc-api-04.txt" -
describes the "abstract service interface" for MALLOC.  This may be what
you're looking for.

I and the rest of the MALLOC working group would be interested in any
specific suggestions you may have as to how this document might be improved
to better meet the needs of multicast applications.

	Ross.