Subject: Questions on AAP

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 10:40:09 -0400

members of malloc,

I apologize if these questions have been answered on the lists, or are
discussed in the latest AAP draft (-01, dated Aug 1998) and I just
missed them. Any answers would be most appreciated:

1. If a MAAS pre-allocates an address, what is the start and end times
it would put in the ACLM/AIU? It won't know these until the madcap
request arrives, which is after the ACLM has been sent.

2. Which MASC routers send an ASRP? If just one, how is it determined
which one? If all, it seems possible (likely even) that each MAAS might
report a different number of addresses as in use for each set advertised
by the MASC router. In this case, which should the MASC router pay
attention to?

3. It seems like the MASC router could use the AIU messages it sees from
MAAS to construct the same information sent in the ASRP. In that case,
the ASRP would not be needed. Is its function mainly to relieve the MASC
router of this burden?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg                       Lucent Technologies
Member of Technical Staff                   101 Crawfords Corner Rd.
High Speed Networks Research                Holmdel, NJ 07733
FAX: (732) 834-5379                         Rm. 4C-526
EMAIL: [email-masked]
URL: http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~jdrosen

---

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 19:25:41 -0700

> request arrives, which is after the ACLM has been sent.

The start time will by typically the current time. Using "start
time" = now + something translates into "address
reservation". malloc does not target explicitly "address
reservation", because it makes things more complicated. At least, in
MASC there is "timestamp" and "lifetime", so all "address
reservations" requests by MADCAP/AAP will translate into "want to
use immediately" at the MASC level.

The end time will be based on whatever information AAP has:
addresses usage in the past, explicit configuration, or just some
default "lifetime".

> 2. Which MASC routers send an ASRP? If just one, how is it determined
           ~~~~
I believe this has to be MAAS, because ASRP is sent by MAAS to MASC.

> by the MASC router. In this case, which should the MASC router pay

Any (or all) MAAS can send ASRP messages. MASC doesn't really care
who is the originator, because ASRP are used by MASC only to monitor
total address usage by the domain. All MASC servers will look only
in the address range and expiration time among all received ASRP
messages.

> MAAS to construct the same information sent in the ASRP. In that case,

Right. I believe the primary reason to have ASRP is because the
information it carries is aggregated and is the only information
MASC needs. Mark?

Pavlin