Subject: Re: Draft minutes for MALLOC @ IETF 45

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 21:38:03 -0700

>    I think we should seriously consider redefining the mapping.

Any mapping is going to map 1,208,925,819,614,629,174,706,176 IPv6
addresses into a single ethernet address, unless you think we can use
the remaining 14 bits of the local multicast ethernet address space, in
which case it's only 73,786,976,294,838,206,464 IPv6 addresses for one
ethernet address.

This is what RFC2373's restriction on assignment of IPv6 addresses to
have 80 bits of zero in the middle is about - it allows there to be a
1-1 mapping by only allowing the assignment of the unique part of the
space.  The new proposal for IPv6 multicast address assignment needs
to address this part of the problem as well, and that's what I think
the discussion in Oslo boiled down to.

  Bill

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 08:47:16 -0400

> the discussion in Oslo boiled down to.

Bill,
     After the MALLOC meeting, a few people discussed the issue of
mapping.  One idea was to use a portion of the network prefix as a
seed to an md5 hash and then give that resulting value as a base
address that the MADCAP servers would use for allocation.  This
will eliminate the concern that was raised about interaction with
current users of RFC2373.

     In my opinion, there will really be two drafts based on this
work, one in IPNG to update the multicast address architecture and
one in MALLOC that lays out the usage rules/guidelines.

Brian

-- 
*-----------------------------------   ----------------------------*
| Brian K. Haberman                /  /                            |
| Remote Access Products           \  \  An unbreakable toy        |
| IBM Research Triangle Park, NC   /  /  is useful,                |
| Internal Phone : 8-444-2673      \  \  for breaking other toys.  |
| External Phone : (919) 254-2673  /  /                            |
| email : [email-masked] \  \                            |
*-----------------------------------   ----------------------------*