Subject: Revised MADCAP spec -06

From: Steve Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 12:51:17 -0400

I have submitted a revised version of the MADCAP spec to the Internet
Drafts archive. For now, it is available from

http://www.aciri.org/malloc/draft-ietf-malloc-madcap-06.txt

As you may recall, we submitted madcap-05 to the IESG in May, requesting
publication as a Proposed Standard. They had a few more comments and
this draft addresses those comments.

A list of changes is included below. Please review this list of changes
and send email to the malloc list if you have any concerns. I expect
that these changes will be non-controversial, so I will send the draft
back to the area directors on Monday unless I hear otherwise.

Thanks,

Steve

---------------

Changes between madcap-05 and madcap-06

* Many minor fixes and clarifications.

* Changed the name of the INFORM message to GETINFO.

* Changed the default behavior so that, by default, only the client
  that allocated a lease can change it. If a client wants the ability
  to have somebody else modify a lease that it allocated, it must
  request or require the new "Shared Lease Identifier" feature when
  allocating the lease.

  This change makes the default be the more common and safer
  behavior. Simple clients don't need to worry about making their
  Lease Identifier cryptographically random or about encrypting the
  Lease Identifier.