Subject: MASC draft updated

From: Pavlin Ivanov Radoslavov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 13:58:24 -0700

I just submitted an update of the MASC draft
(draft-ietf-malloc-masc-03.txt). In the mean time (until it appears
in the I-D directory), you can get a copy of it from
http://netweb.usc.edu/masc/

One of the changes that was described/suggested during IETF in OSLO
is to use separate TCP connections between siblings, one for each
parent in common.

During the IETF meeting someone has asked whether this require
multiple port numbers, and how can we determine which tcp connection
goes with which common parent?

The answer is that each OPEN message has a field "Parent's Domain
ID", so each initiated/created connection between siblings can be
associated with a particular parent. Also, this mechanism 
requires one single well-known MASC port used to listen for new OPEN
messages. Obviously, creating a number of TCP connections between
same nodes will require different ports at one side, but those ports
will be dynamically chosen and don't have to be well known.

Below is the list of all major changes.

Thanks,
Pavlin

Major changes since draft-02:

   o  "APPENDIX C: QUERY/RESPONSE Debug Messages" added.

   o  CLAIM_DENIED propagation rules refined.

   o  Holdtime timer restarted if NOTIFICATION with C-bit reset received

   o  The exponentially increased re-opening connection time interval
      after an error cannot be longer than 24 hours.

   o  Claim Type Error condition bug fix.

   o  "CC" definition in Error subcode description is changed from
      "C-bit is not set" to "C-bit might be set".

   o  CLAIM_DENIED definition refined as "peer refuses your claim..."
      instead of "origin refuses your claim...", because CLAIM_DENIED
      remains the Origin Node and Domain IDs same as those of the denied
      claim.

   o  "Multi-Parent Sibling-to-Sibling and Internal Peering" sub-section
      added.

   o  Parents Information (Parameter Type 2) OPEN optional parameter
      removed
      (XXX: just realized that this change is not mentioned
      in the submitted draft)