Subject: Updated Malloc Arch Doc

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 18:04:19 -0700 (PDT)

I've updated the MALLOC Architecture doc in response to comments
received during WG Last Call.  I've put a version up on the malloc
web site for anyone who wants to take a look before it appears
in the Internet-Drafts directory.

   http://www.aciri.org/malloc/draft-ietf-malloc-arch-03.txt

Changes include:
   * definition of "Allocation Scope" (including values for
     IPv4 and IPv6), and cleaning up related discussion
     of "allocation domains",
   * addition of required Security Considerations section
     containing points which have been discussed at previous
     IETF meetings,
   * addition of required Authors Addresses section,
   * addition of required Full Copyright Statement,
   * a number of wording clarifications, and
   * updating of references.

Since section 5.1 (Allocation Scope) and section 7 (Security 
Considerations) contain new text, I would like to ask for some WG 
review of at least these two sections prior to IETF.

Thanks,
-Dave

---

From: Steve Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 11:26:42 -0400

Thanks for getting this draft out in time.

I only have one comment of substance. In section 6, you talk about
"prefixes" being passed to MAAS's by the Prefix Coordinator. I think we
discussed this a few weeks ago on the mailing list and decided that
Prefix Coordinators could pass in any arbitrary set of address ranges
from the scope. The address ranges need not make up a "prefix" in the
normal sense of the word.

This wouldn't be likely with MASC, but it might be used with static
configuration for Layer 3, when an AS decides to split up into several
smaller allocation domains and decides to split up its glop addresses in
a way that doesn't match prefix conventions. I know that any such split
can be broken down into a set of prefixes (perhaps including some /32s),
but I don't think that's what people normally think of when they hear
prefix.

Also, a few typos:

In section 3.1 in the first paragraph of the Static section, it would be
nice to add a reference for Network Time Protocol. The AAP and MADCAP
specs have suitable references for this.

In section 5, the last line of the third paragraph begins with "scopes
are scopes are".

And in the last paragraph of section 7, you have "should not allow don't
allow".

Other than that, it looks fine.

Thanks,

Steve