Subject: Protocol Action: Multicast Address Dynamic Client Allocation Protocol (MADCAP) to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 06:46:36 -0400

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Multicast Address Dynamic
Client Allocation Protocol (MADCAP)' <draft-ietf-malloc-madcap-07.txt>
as a Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the
Multicast-Address Allocation Working Group.  The IESG contact persons
are Scott Bradner and Vern Paxson.

Technical Summary
 
 MADCAP is a client/server protocol by which hosts can request multicast
 addresses for use at a specified time in the future and for a specified
 duration.  Addresses are allocated by a lease mechanism, so the client can
 later attempt to extend the allocation's lifetime.  The protocol is
 intended for intra-domain use, and assumes that the server has some sort
 of access to a pool of addresses it can then manage.  MADCAP requests and
 replies are transmitted in UDP datagrams, and requests can be multicast
 for better flexibility and fault tolerance.

Working Group Summary

 The specification is the result of extensive WG discussion, particularly
 concerning the degree of compatibility with DHCP, and a number of last-call
 comments, including adding error codes to the protocol for indicating why
 a server has rejected a request.  There is solid WG consensus for this
 version of the document.

Protocol Quality

 The specification was reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten and
 Vern Paxson.