Subject: AAP discussion issues

From: Steve Hanna <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 12:10:14 -0400

Here is the list of open issues from the latest AAP draft. I would like
to encourage discussion of these topics on the malloc list before IETF.

Thanks,

Steve

-----------

Is Prefix Coordinator really the right name for the hosts that announce
the set of multicast addresses available for use within an allocation
domain? We don't require the addresses to be prefixes any more. Maybe
they should be called Address Coordinators. Or Domain Address
Coordinators.

When a MAAS has just done a successful claim, is it really necessary to
send AIU with an interval starting at [RESEND-INTERVAL]? We already did
that with the ACLM!

The old draft talked about MAAS's allocating from only one half of a
prefix if utilization is low in that prefix. I don't see how that will
work. There will probably be long-lived allocations all over the prefix.
And I don't think it is needed. A Prefix Coordinator can just extend the
lifetime of only part of the existing prefix. Or allocate a new, smaller
set of addresses with a longer lifetime and let the old prefix expire.

Should we add start times to the ASA message so that Prefix Coordinators
can announce upcoming addresses? If so, should we let MAAS's allocate
addresses before their start times? And should we add something to ASA
that says "I'm working on these address requests, but these others are
right out." That would give MAAS's a way to give feedback to their
clients on address requests. I would be inclined to leave all of these
things for the future, when they can be added (via new message types).

---

From: Dave Thaler <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 11:52:50 -0700 (PDT)

> they should be called Address Coordinators. Or Domain Address

I don't have a better suggestion, but I don't like Address C.'s or
Domain Address C.'s since they imply single coordination of single
addresses rather than ranges.  If they're ranges, then Address
Range Coordinators might be appropriate.

> lifetime of only part of the existing prefix. 

I think that's what the old draft meant.  Extend the lifetime of
half, and only make new allocations and renewals for addresses
in that half.

> Or allocate a new, smaller
> can announce upcoming addresses? 

My opinion: no, too much complexity.  At the domain level and above,
there are currently no start times (on ranges).

> If so, should we let MAAS's allocate

I would be inclined to agree (leave them right out for now).

-Dave