Subject: [Mathmesh] BOF request

From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 10:34:15 -0400

I submitted this to the ADs. Comments?

In particular how to manage time. I am currently in the process of making a
series of 20 minute video presentations on the Mesh project and component
technologies. This should hopefully avoid the need to explain the
technologies to a great extent in the room. It is a 24 hour flight after
all...

==== MATHMESH (proposal) ====

- Name: MatheMatical Mesh (MATHMESH)
- Description:

To discuss scope of work to specify Mathemetical Mesh technologies. The
Mesh consists of a
user-centric PKI and a set of component technologies that are used to build
it. The IETF
(and/or IRTF) might choose to form a Working Group to pursue some, all or
none of these.

The component technologies of the Mesh include a naming mechanism (UDF), a
cryptographic
syntax (DARE) and the use of 'metacryptography' for threshold encryption
and key provisioning.
Each of these component technologies is closely related to prior IETF work
with improved
implementation and functionality.

UDF provides a generalization of OpenPGP fingerprints using Base32 encoding
(instead of hex),
modern digest algorithms (SHA2/3) and addressing semantic substitution
attacks. The mechanism
is also extended to support symmetric keys, nonces, secret sharing and
embedding in URIs and
QR codes.

DARE provides an envelope format that approximates to PKCS#7 in JSON. DARE
envelopes
are designed to stack in DARE Sequences which afford blockchain like
incremental integrity
assurance through use of a Merkle Tree and incremental encryption by means
of a salted
Key Derrivation Function.

Metacryptography is marketecture for the use of the 'new' cryptography
based on the new CFRG
Elliptic Curves. Threshold encryption affords a novel approach to cloud
security by splitting
the private decryption key. This allows a cloud service to control the
ability to decrypt without
having the ability to decrypt. The key composition mechanism enables the
novel approach to
key provisioning employed in the Mesh.

The Mesh itself is a user centric PKI that applies the above technologies
to make computers
easier to use by making them more secure. It also represents the use case
that motivated
the development of the component technologies and is built on that
foundation. While the
IETF may choose to work on any or all of the component technologies and not
work on the Mesh
itself, the reverse is not practical.

- Status: WG Forming
- Responsible AD: Benjamin Kaduk, Roman Danyliw
- BoF proponents: Phillip Hallam-Baker <[email-masked]>
- BoF chairs: Rich Salz
- Number of people expected to attend: 100
- Length of session (1, 1.5, 2, or 2.5 hours): 2.5 hours
- Conflicts to avoid (whole Areas and/or WGs): WEBPACK, SECURITY

- Agenda
   - Items, drafts, speakers, timing
   - Or a URL
- Links to the mailing list, draft charter if any, relevant
Internet-Drafts, etc.
   - Mailing List: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/mathmesh
   - Draft charter: TBS
   - Relevant drafts:
      - Overview of the project
   - https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-mesh-architecture/
 - Component technologies
   - Fingerprint
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-mesh-udf/
- PKCS#7/Blockchain
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-mesh-dare/
- Metacryptography
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-mesh-cryptography/
 - Mesh specific technology
   - Schema https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-mesh-schema/
- Protocol https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-mesh-protocol/
 - Additional
   - Security Considerations
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hallambaker-mesh-security/