Subject: Re: [midcom] RE: Some comments on scenario draft

From: Scott Bradner <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 16:30:20 -0400 (EDT)

> with 6to4, even a single IPv4 address provides 2**80 IPv6 addresses,
> which is more than enough for most organizations.

from RFC 3056

  The mechanism is intended as
   a start-up transition tool used during the period of co-existence of
   IPv4 and IPv6.  It is not intended as a permanent solution. 

is 6to4 now being seen as a permanent solution?

Scott

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:59:17 -0400

> is 6to4 now being seen as a permanent solution?

certainly not in my mind.  realistically, people are going to use
it as long as no better alternative is available.  but I think
there will be sufficient incentives for ISPs to deploy native IPv6
and make it available at reasonable prices.

I don't see 6to4 as any more of a permanent solution than NAT.
so you may as well ask, is NAT now being seen as a permanent solution?

:)

Keith