Subject: RE: [midcom] requirements-01 status

From: "Fleischman, Eric W" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 16:25:59 -0700

>From: Bob Penfield [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Andrew Zmolek wrote:
>> If interface specification did become a legitimate part of midcom, how
>> would an interface be specified? By some number? By some string? Would
>> this be something of a shared understanding between the middlebox and
>> the agent? Wouldn't this make agent (and middlebox) configuration more
>> complex?
>
>It could be as simple as using the domain names of the networks. I don't
>think the configuration is all that complex. In the middlebox you just need
>to label each interface with the domain name it is connected to. In the
>agent, the label would be associated with the signalling proxies.
>
>Say I have a network "mydomain.com" and you have a network "yourdomain.com"
>and we want to exchange SIP traffic and have a middlebox at the peering
<snip>

I'm afraid that it won't be as simple as your example because the scenario
you have in mind is for communications between companies. However, 
Midcom also has to work for communications WITHIN huge companies. Domain 
names don't cut it in the latter case because I can not assure you that 
there isn't some middlebox somewhere within any given arbitrary subdomain 
(e.g., xxx.yyy.mydomain.com) that could be enumerated.

--Eric

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: "Bob Penfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 07:37:25 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fleischman, Eric W" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Bob Penfield'" <[email-masked]>; "Zmolek, Andrew (Andrew)"
<[email-masked]>; "Scott Brim" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Melinda Shore" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2001 7:25 PM
Subject: RE: [midcom] requirements-01 status

> (e.g., xxx.yyy.mydomain.com) that could be enumerated.

OK, maybe domain names are not the right thing. It just needs to be a name
or number that is an abstract representation of the networks/realms on
either side of the middlebox. This would only be used in middleboxes at or
near the border of the networks.