Subject: [midcom] Document formatting

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:13:36 -0400

Taking off my chair cap here ...

A number of people have noted that using proprietary word
processing programs to produce ASCII documents simply doesn't
work very well and that the results can be suboptimal (non-
printing characters showing up in text, etc.).  In the interest
of making documents available to the broadest number of readers
regardless of platform, I'd be happy to help anyone producing
documents for *this* (midcom) audience convert their text to
nroff/troff, including tbl, eqn, pic, etc.  If someone wants
to step forward and volunteer to help with other non-proprietary,
portable formats (XML, TeX) I'm sure that would be appreciated,
too.

Melinda

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: "Marshall T. Rose" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 14:45:59 -0700

author in xml and produce .txt (rfc/i-d), html, and nroff... c.f., rfc 2629
and http://xml.resource.org/

/mtr

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:35:10 -0400

> and http://xml.resource.org/

I really like the xml2rfc package, as far as it goes.  There are a
number of things I can't do -- case in point: have multiple sets of
custom indented paragraph "bullets", like "F1:", where the number
auto-increments globally even though sets of these bullets are
interspersed with other, normal paragraphs.  If xml2rfc could be
extended to do this sort of thing I'd be very happy.  Even just a "list
continuation" style -- a non-bulleted paragraph indented to the same
depth as the body text of a bulleted paragraph above it -- would be
nice.  Otherwise I revert to nroff.  How many hours would it take me to
learn how to add such extensions? :-)

Thanks ... Scott