Subject: RE: [midcom] Interim rev. of the famework draft

From: "Sanjoy Sen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 19:29:07 -0500

> 
> 	I do not think the MIDCOM protocol, when defined, should
> explicitly support the creation of session objects. 

We should separate out Session descriptors and flows. As was pointed out,
Session descriptors relate to end-points. Flow is end-2-end and it may be
possible to construct a flow description, partially or completely, from the
Session descriptors. In my mind, the Midcom agent (via the Midcom protocol)
should provide information to the Middlebox to construct such a flow
description (to match incoming packets) and associate a
function/action/resource/service with the flow description. These two things
- flow description (which is derived by the Middlebox) and
function/action/resource/service (which are entities in the Middlebox) -
should be kept separate. 

> 
> 	This suggests a requirement for the protocol, that it should
> support transactions with multiple requests in them, to be processed
> atomically with respect to traffic processing.
> 

I agree.