Subject: [midcom] Pinhole definition and attributes, not parameters and actions

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:44:01 -0700

During the discussion of rule 48, we started speaking about rule
parameters and actions. I think this is inappropriate, and would rather
see us speak about rule "definition" and "attributes."

A rule "definition" is the set of parameter that defines the rule --
i.e., exactly what we are going to study as part of the "filter
specification." The basic idea here is that there can be only one rule
for a given definition. An example of definition might be a five tuple.

The rule "attributes" is everything else, for example the NAT mapping
associated to the five tupple, the time to live of the rule, maybe the
expected "application profile" alluded to in R48. The MIDCOM protocol
will allow MIDCOM agents to modify these attributes, under appropriate
control.

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Abdallah Rayhan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 11:53:11 -0400 (EDT)

I second this email.

> will allow MIDCOM agents to modify these attributes, under

_______________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.ca address at http://mail.yahoo.ca