Subject: [midcom] VoIP Traversal of Non-upgraded Firewall & NATs @ IETF

From: "Pete Cordell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 10:03:15 +0100

Dear All,

I would like to have a meeting at the IETF (informal BOF?) discussing
methods for VoIP and Multimedia over IP traversing non-upgraded firewalls
and NATs.  These methods are intended to supplement the firewall
architecture, and not require upgrade to existing firewall/NAT components,
or clients (and other infrastructure such as proxies).

There is a draft discussing one proposal at:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-davies-fw-nat-traversal-00.txt

If others have ideas in this area, then please contact me and we can arrange
some sort of agenda.  (Although note that I will be out of contact until the
Sunday before the IETF - i.e. this Sunday! - so we might have to organise
this at the IETF.)

I hope the format will be something like:

- Overview presentation of method
- How this is secure and maintains administrator control
- (Repeat for each proposal)
- Collect issues that need to be addressed before going to a formal BOF.

(The modified agenda involves the final item being changed to 'chaos'!)

At this stage I would like to avoid discussion about how this compares to
MidCom and other approaches - such as Rosenberg's - as I think it will
quickly turn into a blood bath.  - We should save that for the formal BOF!

I'm hoping to hold the meeting in:

    The King's Suite/Sandringham 1 on
    Thursday 17:45 -> 18:45,

but I obviously haven't had a chance to check this with the organisers.
Therefore, please look out for final details on the noticeboard, and
probably the door of the King's Suite.

I look forward to seeing you all,

Pete.

(P.S.  Sorry for putting this on the SG16 and TIPHON lists, but I'm well
aware that many of you attend the IETF and I wanted to make sure you had the
opportunity to come along.)

=============================================
Pete Cordell
Tech-Know-Ware
[email-masked]
+44 1473 635863
=============================================

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: "Pete Cordell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2001 17:10:33 +0100

Just to confirm the announcement I made at the SIP meeting this morning....

This meeting is now on...  It will be held in:

Hilton Rooms 10, 11, & 12
Thursday 17:45 -> 19:00  (although we'll make it shorter if we can)

Hope to see you there.

Pete.

----- Original Message -----
From: Pete Cordell <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; 'sip-ietf (E-mail)' <[email-masked]>;
<[email-masked]>; SG16 <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Cc: Steve Davies <[email-masked]>
Sent: 01 August 2001 10:03
Subject: VoIP Traversal of Non-upgraded Firewall & NATs @ IETF

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom