Subject: [midcom] unused states clean-up

From: "Cedric Aoun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 09:38:15 +0100

Hi,
A while ago when we discussed and argued on how to clean-up no longer used
states on a MB,
it was agreed that the requirement is to have a mechanism to cleanup these
states.
Each protocol may have it's own ways to clean them up, ruleset or bundle
related  timers could be a solution
but there are other solutions as well.
To summarize I think we need to replace R6 and R81, by the real requirement
which is:
The protocol should have a state clean-up mechanism for no longer used
states

Any comments?
Cedric

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:57:32 -0400

> The protocol should have a state clean-up mechanism for no longer used

I don't think we ever resolved this in the main group (although we
talked about it at the Monday night FOB).  My opinion is No -- this is
too specific.  You want to be sure that state is synchronized
deterministically, but that doesn't mean you need a mechanism in the
protocol.  You may use timers, etc.  I think R23 is as far as we want to
go in this Working Group.  The next WG can get more specific.  I think
we agree on the requirement, just not the solution, which we should put
off.

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 14:03:51 -0400

At 10:57 AM 9/4/01 -0400, Scott Brim wrote:
>I don't think we ever resolved this in the main group

We didn't.

>I think

Is this a proposal to let R6 and R81 stand as is?  My one caveat would
be that R6 does put a requirement on the behavior of the middlebox.

Melinda

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 14:18:39 -0400

> be that R6 does put a requirement on the behavior of the middlebox.

No, I think they should be deleted in favor of the real, fundamental
requirement, R23.  Questions about specifics such as timers should be
put off until the next incarnation of the WG.