Subject: RE: [midcom] draft-brim-midcom-inandout-00.txt

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:21:51 -0700

> Do you believe then that all middleboxes of concern to midcom either:
> a) Have a routing table, or
> b) Know the prefix/mask for each of their interfaces AND are not used
> in
> topologies where the NAT/security/etc domains contain other prefixes
> reached via routers (and therefore unknown to the mb).

Yes, I believe that. And I will go on believing until you point out a
product that does not, which I doubt you can. Even if you look at the
low end of the market, the boxes that sell for $100 or less, you find
functionalities such as DHCP servers, which definitely imply address
management.

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Andrew Molitor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:15:20 -0500 (CDT)

> functionalities such as DHCP servers, which definitely imply address

	http://www.aravox.com and, apparently, http://www.netscreen.com.
Sun used to and possibly still does build a firewall that worked like
this. I am quite certain this is an extremely partial list.

	See also "bridge", a.k.a. "layer 2 switch."

	Sure you, of all people Christian, see the value of letting
routers route, security devices do security, and NAT devices do
NAT, with as little overlap in functionality as possible?