Subject: RE: [midcom] Pre-midcom work item - candidate draft-davies-fw-nat -traversal-01.txt

From: Steve Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 20:57:06 +0100

All,

Today Ridgeway has submitted a new internet draft as a candidate for the
work item specified below. Until it is available via the IETF website, it
may be downloaded from:

http://www.ridgewaysystems.com/pdf/Whitepapers/draft-davies-fw-nat-traversal
-01.txt

Steve 

-----Original Message-----
From: Melinda Shore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 05 October 2001 14:14
To: midcom
Subject: [midcom] New deliverable approved

We've gotten the go-ahead on the new deliverable.  The
most recent description that I've seen is this:

Ubiquitous deployment of midcom in all middleboxes could take many years.
In the interim, a solution is needed that allows applications to operate
in the presence of midcom-unaware middleboxes. To support this, the
midcom group will develop or document a protocol or approach that allows
clients to indirectly obtain address bindings from midcom-unaware
middleboxes, through communications with server elements on the public
side of the middlebox. The key goals for this effort are rapid delivery of
a simple solution (since it is an interim solution), consistency with the
midcom framework, and security.

We need to move quickly on choosing a base document and moving
it forward.  Please take the charter text to heart, particularly
" [ ... ] allows clients to indirectly obtain address bindings from
midcom-unaware middleboxes."  Note that it does not say that we'll
be using tunneling.

Also, let's try to keep moving the other deliverables towards
closure.  

Melinda

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom