Subject: RE: [midcom] R75

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:32:36 -0400

At 02:10 PM 10/17/01 -0700, Reinaldo Penno wrote:
>Are we saying that in the case of, for instance BGP, where ingress and egress traffic can take different paths and pass through different MBs, MIDCOM will not work OR that it will work on any topology but IF routing changes then it might fails?
>
>If we are somewhat restricting MIDCOM usage to certain topologies or routing configurations I disagree. 

If you've read my network-friendlier draft you'll find that
I believe that midcom is self-limiting regarding topology - there
are some topologies that simply won't work.  We went into this
knowing that we were going to be violating network layer
boundaries.  I don't think we fully appreciated the extent to
which that violation would affect topological concerns.  There
is simply no way to make middleboxes robust across routing
changes without profound changes to middlebox functions, and
even if it were desirable it would still be out of scope.

Melinda

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom