Subject: [midcom] AVNMP Release

From: "Bush, Stephen F (CRD)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:13:40 -0400

AVNMP Version 1.3

Release 1.3 of AVNMP (Active Virtual Network Management Prediction) software is available from the
download button in http://www.crd.ge.com/~bushsf/an/. 

Active Networks are a new paradigm in network architecture in which executable code as well as static
data may be transmitted in support of fundamental network operation. Intermediate network nodes (e.g.
routers) have the capability to execute packet code as the packets travel the network. This requires
that intermediate nodes support an Execution Environment (EE). We are beginning to harness active
network capability for algorithmic compression and prediction in support of network management; AVNMP
is a first step in this direction.

Active Virtual Network Management Prediction (AVNMP) provides a network prediction service. Active
network state is predicted and propagated throughout the network, allowing the network to
simultaneously operate in real time and in the future. State information such as load, CPU
utilization, security intrusions, and mobile location and any other state information currently found
in Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Management Information Bases can be available for use by
the active management system both for the current time and for times in the future. Thus, AVNMP
implements a distributed, active, and truly proactive network management system. Active Networks
enabled the implementation of new concepts in AVNMP, such as messages that refine their prediction as
they travel through the network, as well as several optimizations to the basic AVNMP algorithm,
including migration of AVNMP components and reduction in overhead by means of message fusion. 

A few general notes about the initial release of AVNMP:

1. This release contains the AVNMP code with a sample load prediction application. New versions can
be retrieved from http://www.crd.ge.com/~bushsf/an/.

2. The Magician Active Network Execution Environment is required to run AVNMP and can be downloaded
from the AVNMP web site as well.

3. Information about an introductory textbook on Active Networks and AVNMP (
<outbind://4/~bushsf/an/anabstract.pdf> Active Networks and Active Network Management: A Proactive
Management Framework by  <outbind://4/~bushsf/> Stephen F. Bush and Amit Kulkarni, Kluwer
Academic/Plenum Publishers, Boston, March 2001, 200 pp. Hardbound, ISBN 0-306-46560-4) can be found
in http://avnmp.sourceforge.net/anabstract.pdf.

4. An SNMP client is required to access and view the AVNMP results stored within the Management
Information Base. SNMP packages are available from many sources, one source is
http://www.net.cmu.edu/groups/netdev/software.html. Download and compile the snmpwalk utility for
your platform and execute: snmpwalk -p 5000 localhost public .1.3.6.1.3.75 to view the entire content
of the AVNMP MIB once AVNMP is running.

General information about the AVNMP mailing list is at:

http://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/avnmp-code

This research was funded at GE CRD by DARPA/ITO Contract Number: F30602-98-C-0230 supported by the
Air Force Research Laboratory/IF.

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom