Subject: [midcom] New deliverable approved

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 09:14:24 -0400

We've gotten the go-ahead on the new deliverable.  The
most recent description that I've seen is this:

Ubiquitous deployment of midcom in all middleboxes could take many years.
In the interim, a solution is needed that allows applications to operate
in the presence of midcom-unaware middleboxes. To support this, the
midcom group will develop or document a protocol or approach that allows
clients to indirectly obtain address bindings from midcom-unaware
middleboxes, through communications with server elements on the public
side of the middlebox. The key goals for this effort are rapid delivery of
a simple solution (since it is an interim solution), consistency with the
midcom framework, and security.

We need to move quickly on choosing a base document and moving
it forward.  Please take the charter text to heart, particularly
" [ ... ] allows clients to indirectly obtain address bindings from
midcom-unaware middleboxes."  Note that it does not say that we'll
be using tunneling.

Also, let's try to keep moving the other deliverables towards
closure.  

Melinda

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Steve Davies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 19:18:42 +0100

Melinda,

Interesting. I'd liked to put forward a candidate method that meet these
needs. We've been working on the 'flipped' or 'reversed' version on our
original method (published last March in
draft_davies_fw_nat_traversal_00.txt) that is very midcom like and does just
this. This announcement has caught us somewhat on the hop, but I hope to
publish a new I-D by the middle of next week.

I'll email the group as soon as it is available.

Steve Davies

-----Original Message-----
From: Melinda Shore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 05 October 2001 14:14
To: midcom
Subject: [midcom] New deliverable approved

Melinda

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 15:05:56 -0400

At 07:18 PM 10/5/01 +0100, Steve Davies wrote:
>This announcement has caught us somewhat on the hop, but I hope to publish a new I-D by the middle of next week.

It would be very helpful for those who are planning on
submitting something to get a description to the mailing
list soonish so that we can start sorting through basic
approaches.  Also, it's my understanding the Ridgeway
has some IPR claims on the technology you describe in your
draft.  If my understanding is correct we need to get that
out in the open at the start of discussions.

Melinda