Subject: [midcom] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-midcom-requirements-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 07:11:32 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Middlebox Communication Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Middlebox Communications (midcom) Protocol      
                          Requirements
	Author(s)	: R. Swale, P. Mart, P. Sijben, S. Brim, M. Shore
	Filename	: draft-ietf-midcom-requirements-03.txt
	Pages		: 10
	Date		: 08-Nov-01
	
This document specifies the requirements that the Middlebox Commu-
nication (midcom) protocol must satisfy in order to meet the needs
of applications wishing to influence middlebox function.  These
requirements were developed with a specific focus on network
address translation and firewall middleboxes.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-midcom-requirements-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-midcom-requirements-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-midcom-requirements-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: Mark Duffy <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:05:52 -0500

Hi, I just have a few comments/suggestions, both in the "nit" category.

Sect 2.1.3, 2nd para, it explains why we must support multiple agents to
one middlebox:  "There may be multiple instances of a single application or
multiple      applications desiring service from a single middlebox."  To
really connect this to the point it is trying to support, I suggest
extending the sentence with "and different agents may represent them."

2.1.12 "Rulesets that partially overlap other rulesets can create
nondeterministic behavior and must not be permitted."   This sentence is
much more restrictive than the requirement statement it purports to
explain.  I think what it should be saying is that the nondeterministic
behavior must not be permitted, not that the overlapping rules must not be
permitted!  I suggest rewording it thus: "The protocol must preclude
nondeterministic behavior in the case of overlapping rulesets, e.g. by
ensuring that some known precedence is imposed on overlapping rulesets."
Either that or just s/and must not/which must not/  in the original sentence.

Thanks, Mark

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom