Subject: Re: [midcom] pre-midcom solutions != VPN

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 12:58:52 -0500

At 05:27 PM 11/20/01 +0000, Barry Scott wrote:
>Pre-midcom goal: the pre-midcom solution allows users in a private network
>to use voice and video IP terminals to communicate with users outside their
>private network. It has to allow private to public network transition
>without compromising security.

I'd amend that to say "within the midcom framework."  Ideally we'd
like endpoints to be able to get their public address for signaling
purposes.

Melinda

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Barry Scott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 16:34:39 -0000

Saqib, 

Maybe we are talking at cross purposes. I think that IPsec is used to add 
authentication and encryption to IP data. Which is a different topic from 
a VPN routing data between two parts of a private network over a public 
network. (Or indeed two parts of the public network over a private network).

Of course when someone wants a secure VPN solution that solution may use 
IPsec. IPsec has its own set of problems with NAPT that stop it working 
today, but I understand that solutions are in development. 

I wanted to point out that pre-midcom work is different to a traditional 
VPN, because each end of a VPN shares the same address space, 10.0.0.0/8 
for example. Where each end of a pre-midcom is in a different address 
space, one end in the public internet the other in a 10.0.0.0/8 for example.

I cannot see how to use a VPN to make VOIP protocols work between private
IP address space and a shared public IP address space.

        Barry 

www.ridgewaysystems.com