Subject: [midcom] STUN/TURN proposal

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:50:37 -0500

From:  Tom Gray@MITEL on 11/15/2001 12:50 PM

The STUN protocol discovers the type of NAT used. How often is it contemplated
that the protocol would be run in a typical installation? Would it typically  be
for every VoIPcall or at a lower rate than that.

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Rohan Mahy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 19:22:33 -0800

>for every VoIPcall or at a lower rate than that.

You would typically use STUN at *startup* to find out if you are behind a 
NAT.  You may also want to check if your IP address moved to a different 
subnet unexpectedly.

thanks,
-rohan