Subject: [midcom] STUN/TURN and NATS

From: Kuniaki Kondo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 11:55:06 +0900

Hi,

I summarize what is difference NATS, my draft, and STUN/TURN which
has discussed on this list.

First of all, Midcom approach such as STUN/TURN would traverse
NAT/FW without changing NAT box or FW software.
However, NATS approach is different. NATS would traverse them
with changing NAT box software, but it does not need to change
end host such as PCs. Furthermore, Target of NATS is residential
user or SOHO user who uses very simple network topology.

I considered differences stand on this conditions.

Most differences between STUN/TURN and NATS is that STUN/TURN
needs a server, but NATS does not need it. And, STUN/TURN
needs to support this protocol on clients such as PCs, but
NATS does not need to support it.
However, If end users want to use all NATS features, then
end hosts might support NATS. However, this is NOT mandatory.

It means that residential users can support NATS to upgrade firmware
of NAT box or SOHO router, and other equipments such as PCs does not
need to change anything.
Furthermore, In the STUN/TURN approach, connections have to through
server. Therefore, it might make collecting traffic if ISP uses those
protocol. Especially, If VoIP or MoIP use those midcom protocol, VoIP
or MoIP make over some 10Kbps traffic, totally those traffic might reach
some hundreds mega bps at ISP which have many thousands of residential
users.
For improve those situation, STUN/TURN protocol supports multi-server
topology.
However, ISPs probably do not desire to put those servers because
those servers might make slow down performance to transfer packets.
Furthermore, residential user especially game user or VoIP user worry
about delay. They might hate that there are servers to transfer those
traffic on the network.
Certainly, those topology are acceptable for enterprise user.

On this perspective, I believe that we should consider a method
which does not need servers like NATS not only which needs servers
like STUN/TURN.

Finally, NATS is in developing phase, and some test codes have
already worked. And, some products decided that it will implement NATS.

Thanks.

--
Kuniaki Kondo
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom