Subject: [midcom] FYI: UPNP Internet Gateway Device

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 16:28:52 -0800

The UPNP Forum has just published on its web site the recently approved
"Internet Gateway Device" control protocol. Specs can be obtained at:
	http://upnp.org/resources/standards.asp
The UPNP standard specifies how a station in a home network can open
ports and obtain mapping through a "residential gateway." There is
information about support by various companies in the forum's main page,
http://upnp.org/

-- Christian Huitema

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:27:47 -0500

>"Internet Gateway Device" control protocol. Specs can be obtained at:

People interested in actually playing with it on XP or ME should pick
up a security patch from Microsoft.  Details at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/224297

Melinda

---

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 09:19:06 -0800

> http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/224297

Melinda,

I was careful to only point at the documentation, not specific products.
UPNP Internet Gateway is indeed supported by Windows XP, and is used in
services such as DirectPlay, Remote assistance or Messenger. It allows
for example Messenger users to set up a direct multi-media call, even if
both caller and responders are behind a NAT -- if both NAT support the
service. The bug that you mention is not directly related to the
Internet Gateway device, but rather to the generic UPNP code -- and it
is certainly not related to the specification of the service. In any
case, the patch is automatically installed through Windows Update when
you install XP, and can be downloaded through Windows Update at any
time.

-- Christian Huitema