Subject: RE: [midcom] pre-midcom candidates - Protocol Name for Davies Proposal

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:32:32 -0800

Steve,

On the ridgeway web site, one finds phrases such as "Ridgeway uses
patent-pending technology to limit H.323 traffic to Ridgeway's
well-known ports". Is your proposal covered by any of these pending
patents, and if yes what is your licensing strategy?

-- Christian Huitema

-----Original Message-----
From: Steve Davies [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 9:08 AM
To: [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: [midcom] pre-midcom candidates - Protocol Name for Davies
Proposal

The protocol and method described in the Davies proposal is now referred
to as FANTOM - Firewall And NAT Traversal Overt Method. Please refer to
it as such.
Thanks 
Steve 

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:18:08 -0500

>patents, and if yes what is your licensing strategy?

Ridgeway posted an intellectual property rights notice against this
some time ago (http://www.ietf.org/ietf/IPR/RIDGEWAY-NAT-TRAVERSAL).
I've written them about this on several occasions and gotten answers,
but the answers have not been posted to the midcom mailing list.  I
think this is somewhat unfortunate, since we are trying to select from
among several proposed protocols and the IETF policy is that a 
technology with IPR claims against it will only be preferred against
competing technology when it's clearly superior.  

Melinda

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:24:07 -0500

From:  Tom Gray@MITEL on 11/20/2001 07:24 AM

I think that that would be a valid question given the discussion about the
equivalence of TURN and Davies.

Melinda Shore <[email-masked]> on 11/19/2001 04:45:01 PM

To:   Tom Gray/Kan/Mitel@Mitel
cc:   "Steve Davies" <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]

Subject:  RE: [midcom] pre-midcom candidates - Protocol Name for Davies
      Proposal

At 03:00 PM 11/19/01 -0500, [email-masked] wrote:
>Since the claim is that the Davies proposal is fundamentally the same as that
of
>the new TURN proposal, wouldn't this issue be also important for it as well.

Are you asking if Ridgeway is intending to assert that TURN is
using Ridgeway-patented technology?

Melinda