Subject: [midcom] SOCKS as MIDCOM protocol

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:49:25 +0100

Hi,

there has been the discussion whether SOCKS could be used as a MIDCOM 
protocol or not. In my opinion this is not straight forward. SOCKS may be 
widely deployed, but the SOCKS protocol is intended  to have a 
communication between the SOCKS server/client or between two SOCKS server.
In the MIDCOM case the SOCKS server is the firewall/NAT and the client is 
located at the MIDCOM agent. After establishing a pinhole/binding in the 
NAT by the MIDCOM agent, the data flow from the client, e.g. a SIP phone 
with UPD traffic, has to take the follwing way:
SIP-Phone -> MIDCOM agent/SOCKS client -> SOCKS/Server.
That's the way SOCKS works. A lot of changes to SOCKS have to be made, to 
make  SOCKS compliant with the MIDCOM architecture.

Cheers
Martin

Martin Stiemerling

NEC Europe Ltd. -- Network Laboratories      [email-masked]
IPv4: http://www.ccrle.nec.de             IPv6: http://www.ipv6.ccrle.nec.de

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom