Subject: [midcom] Signal to SPAM Ratio Below Unity -- Re: [midcom] [À¥ ±¤ °í] ÇÏ¸®¼ö Àü¹®»çÀÌÆ® ¸ðÀ½(´©µå ¿µ»óÁý ÃÖÃÊ °ø°³)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 14:44:14 -0500

From:  Tom Gray@MITEL on 03/01/2002 02:44 PM

An announcement on the IMPP list has just been sent to the effect that theany
notes from non-members will be forwarded to the chair for approval before being
sent to the list. The chair had asked for and received permission to do this.
This was due to the very low signal to SPAM ratio. Since this ratio on this list
appears to have moved below 1, Would it be possible to move to the same system
here.

"Ree Soo Club" <[email-masked]> on 03/01/2002 06:17:43 AM

To:   [email-masked]
cc:    (bcc: Tom Gray/Kan/Mitel)

Subject:  [midcom] [À¥ ±¤ °í] ÇÏ¸®¼ö Àü¹®»çÀÌÆ® ¸ðÀ½(´©µå ¿µ»óÁý ÃÖÃÊ °ø°³)

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 14:58:00 -0500

>appears to have moved below 1, Would it be possible to move to the same system

We had this discussion here and on the main IETF mailing list
last year, and the conclusion was that it's less work to allow
most stuff through than it is to deal with whining from that
constituency which believes that holding any mail for approval
constitutes censorship.  Also, spammers are now subscribing their
bogus addresses to mailing lists, like midcom, in order to get
their mail through.

Melinda

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:11:42 -0800

>bogus addresses to mailing lists, like midcom, in order to get

It's really up to the chair to update the filter whenever the list receives 
spam. I try to do this on the NAT list and it has dramatically reduced the 
amount of spam.

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 17:13:20 -0500

At 01:11 PM 3/1/02 -0800, Matt Holdrege wrote:
>It's really up to the chair to update the filter whenever the list receives spam. I try to do this on the NAT list and it has dramatically reduced the amount of spam.

We're actually doing a fair amount of filtering already, and I'm
reviewing and discarding typically between 4 and 9 messages each day.  
The filtering is on a set of heuristics that has nothing to do with 
subscription status.  Adding filters for each piece of spam that makes 
it through creates more work than it saves, because spammers tend not to
reuse email addresses or subject headers.

Melinda

---

From: Andrew Molitor <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 16:15:18 -0600 (CST)

Is it possible to filter on something like 'more than half the
characters are not printable' and 'includes the keyword "forklift"'?

---

From: Matt Holdrege <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 15:51:09 -0800

At 02:13 PM 3/1/2002, Melinda Shore wrote:
> >It's really up to the chair to update the filter whenever the list 
> receives spam. I try to do this on the NAT list and it has dramatically 
> reduced the amount of spam.
>

My filter list blocks a lot of the spam that I see here on MIDCOM. You are 
right that they don't always use the same address, but  lately a lot of it 
comes from yahoo.co.kr and gtech21.com and a couple of others. If you could 
filter those, you'd save us a lot of email.

Sorry for spamming on spam. I'll shut up for now.

---

From: "Cullen Jennings" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:38:26 -0800

I'm sure all possibilities have been considered to death but I have this
incredible urge to put in my hair brain scheme :-) Actually this email is
pretty much spam itself, but hey, it's not like it's going to change the
SPAM/HAM ratio of this group.

You can only post if you are subscribed but the Chair does not need to
review your post.

To subscribe, the chair does need to approve you but you get approval by
answering a question that demonstrates you actually know what the topic of
the list is. For example

Q. The MIDCOM working group is a:

A) Group of midwifes and other professionals discussing the difficulties of
birthing standards

B) A group of anarchists trying to defeat capitalism by causing the collapse
of the internet by stopping the deployment of IPv6

C) A groups working on boxes that keep the .com people out of public and in
their own little space where they can feel more protected.

D) A group of wordsmiths formed in the middle ages that focus on
communications and spending much time in dark, smoke filled rooms trying to
make sure the OED is growing at a respectable rate.

Sorry, Cullen :-)