Subject: RE: Signal to SPAM ratio is now well below Od B was Re: [midcom] [ ����] ���� ������ ������ ���� � ��� ���� ������...�� ���� ���� ����!!!

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 10:24:06 -0500

At 07:05 AM 3/25/02 -0800, Reinaldo Penno wrote:
>you do not need to look at every email. You just need to configure the list to allow member-only postings. If one of these spammers is already on the list you just unsusbcribe him/them.

Yes, you do need to look at each piece of email or else risk
mistakenly rejecting legitimate mail.  In information retrieval
recall and relevance are clearly found to be inversely
related.

I'm happy to continue to discuss this, but in the interest of
getting some work done perhaps each complaint about the mailing
list should include an addendum regarding either pre-midcom or
the protocol comparison.  We've got a document about to go into
WG last call and I think that's at least as deserving of our
attention as is the continuing stream of off-topic email.

Melinda

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:19:27 +0100

Melinda,

I do not get your point. In both cases
  - open mailing list or
  - moderated mailing list
you will get the same number of messages.
And I assume that you as chair read all them anyway.

So for you there would be no difference in the number
of messages to read.

However, if you (after reading) reject all spam messages,
it would be a significant difference for all other subscribers,
because spam is increasing heavily.

    Juergen
-- 
Juergen Quittek     [email-masked]     Tel: +49 6221 90511-15
NEC Europe Ltd.,    Network Laboratories     Fax: +49 6221 90511-55
Adenauerplatz 6, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany   http://www.ccrle.nec.de