Subject: [midcom] Questins about grouping functionality

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 04:13:38 +0200

Hi,

with respect to yesterday's MIDCOM session I have the following question 
about the grouping functionality.
The requirements say this:
2.2.3.

      The protocol must support the concept of a ruleset group comprising
      a multiple of individual rulesets to be treated as an aggregate.

      Applications using more than one data stream may find it more con-
      venient and more efficient to be able to use single messages to
      tear down, extend, and manipulate all middlebox rulesets being used
      by one instance of the application.

But Christian has mentioned that this is not required and nobody has 
objected during the session.
So I think grouping is required.

Martin

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 22:29:44 -0400

> So I think grouping is required.

I think what you're asking is whether or not it should be
possible to tear down a group of rulesets by referring to
them using a single handle.  The requirements are actually
somewhat open on this, since it would be possible to tear
down a set of rulesets by using a group identifier *or* by
using a single teardown command with a list of rulesets.
Either would be allowed.

Melinda

---

From: Scott Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:39:08 +0900

> So I think grouping is required.

I observe two things.

- Since we're discarding 'deny' rules, we don't need AND/OR syntax in a
  single request, and in fact we don't need to support bundling of
  multiple filters in a single ruleset.

- So the only need for this kind of grouping is for convenience of
  management.  It's not absolutely necessary, it's just convenient.  It
  can be done with an arbitrary cookie field.