Subject: [midcom] MIDCOM Protocol Evaluation - Proposed changes to SNMP - Section 1 .1.1

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:52:39 -0500

Hi all,

This is the change that I propose to make to Section 1.1.1, with regards to
clarifying the applicability of SNMP as the MIDCOM protocol.

Old Text (from draft-ietf-midcom-protocol-eval-02.txt):

"The primary advantages of SNMP compared to other protocols evaluated are
that it is a mature, well understood protocol currently deployed in various
scenarios. In addition, mature toolsets are available for SNMP managers and
agents. SNMP is mainly used for monitoring rather than for configuring
network nodes, however, thus reducing its applicability to MIDCOM."

Proposed New Text:

"The primary advantages of SNMP are that it is a mature, well understood
protocol currently deployed in various scenarios, with mature toolsets
available for SNMP managers and agents. However, several other factors also
affect SNMP's applicability as the MIDCOM protocol:
- SNMP is mainly used for monitoring rather than for configuring network
nodes, and
- SNMPv3 is required in order to meet the security requirements." 

***************
Although comments on the overall document will be accepted through August
2nd, I would like to request that feedback on this proposed change be
provided by 6PM CST Tuesday (30 July) so that we can address any concerns
prior to the 2nd; with no response meaning that the proposed text is OK. 
***************

Regards,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]
972-684-5432
Wireless 817-703-4806

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom