Subject: [midcom] MIDCOM Protocol Evaluation - Proposed changes to SNMP - Section 1 .1.3 - para 2

From: "Mary Barnes" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 15:53:39 -0500

Hi all,

This is the change that I propose to make to Section 1.1.3, paragraph 2 with
regards to clarifying the model applied to the SNMP evaluation.

Old Text (from draft-ietf-midcom-protocol-eval-02.txt):

"The SNMP use of the term agent is different from its use in the Midcom
framework: The SNMP Manager corresponds to the Midcom agent and the SNMP
Agent corresponds to the Middlebox."

Proposed New Text:

"The SNMP use of the term agent differs from its use in the Midcom
framework: The SNMP Manager corresponds to the Midcom agent and the SNMP
Agent corresponds to the MIDCOM PDP.  The SNMP evaluation assumes that the
MIDCOM PDP is physically part of the middlebox, which is allowed by the
MIDCOM framework and described in section 6.0 of [2].  Thus, for the purpose
of this evaluation, the SNMP agent corresponds to the Middlebox."  

***************
Although comments on the overall document will be accepted through August
2nd, I would like to request that feedback on this proposed change be
provided by 6PM CST Tuesday (30 July) so that we can address any concerns
prior to the 2nd; with no response meaning that the proposed text is OK. 
***************

Thanks,
Mary H. Barnes
[email-masked]
972-684-5432
Wireless 817-703-4806

------------------------
For those not familiar with the motivation for this change, a change had
been made in the -02 version, as resolution of mailing list discussion, to
replace the use of "MIDCOM PDP" with "Middlebox" throughout the SNMP
evaluation. The original statement in the -01 version of the protocol
evaluation draft and in the original SNMP Protocol evaluation was:

"The SNMP use of the term agent is different from its use in the Midcom
framework: The SNMP Manager corresponds to the Midcom agent and the SNMP
Agent corresponds to the Midcom PDP."

Thus, the intent of this change is just to clarify the model used for the
SNMP evaluation. 

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom