Subject: [midcom] Evalutation: SNMP

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:35:01 +0200

In the MIDCOM case SNMP has to be used as a configuration protocol. But 
SNMP is now for 20 years onstage, but it hasn't used too many times for 
configuration of devices.
So I don't see the point of why MIDCOM should use SNMP for middlebox 
configuration?

Martin
-- 
Martin Stiemerling

NEC Europe Ltd. -- Network Laboratories  [email-masked]
IPv4: http://www.ccrle.nec.de  IPv6: http://www.ipv6.ccrle.nec.de

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: "Joel M. Halpern" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:34:57 -0400

While it is true that SNMP is not used by network operators for 
configuration (or some statement close enough to taht for our purposes) 
that does not mean that SNMP has not been used for configuration, or should 
not be used for configuration.

I know of several enterprise routers over the years that were strictly 
configured with SNMP.  I know of several enterprise operational systems 
that manage and configure routers using SNMP.  While I am doubtful for 
other reasons as to whether SNMP is the right answer for MIDCOM, I would 
certainly not rule it out.  In many ways it is the best developed and 
tested solution available.

Yours,
Joel M. Halpern

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:00:06 +0200

Hi Joel,

Joel M. Halpern wrote:

> that does not mean that SNMP has not been used for configuration, or 
> should not be used for configuration.
> 

What are the other reasons? Can you talk about them more specifc.

> tested solution available.

Compared with the other possibilites it is for sure the best developed 
and tested solution.