Subject: [midcom] Evaluation: COPS and session initialisation

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 10:45:09 +0200

Just a poll about the working group opinion:
The MIDCOM framework and requirements say that the agent initiates the 
session to the middlebox. But in the COPS/COPS-PR case the way is vice 
versa: The middlebox initiates the session to the agent.

I see this a as major difference in the particular architecture. How 
does the working group feel about this. Is this just a minore point or a 
real concern.

Martin

-- 
Martin Stiemerling

NEC Europe Ltd. -- Network Laboratories  [email-masked]
IPv4: http://www.ccrle.nec.de  IPv6: http://www.ipv6.ccrle.nec.de

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Scott W Brim <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 06:18:39 -0700

> does the working group feel about this. Is this just a minore point or a 

IMHO the COPS/COPS-PR case is expressed wrong.  I see no reason why the
Midcom agent can't initiate the COPS relationship.  It's the one that
knows what needs to be installed in the middlebox.  I believe the issue
that confused the COPS model was that the middlebox is speaking to a
policy server, and thus it "must" be the COPS PDP.  Not true -- those
"policy" relationships are completely independent.

...Scott

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 22:28:26 +0200

Scott,

> "policy" relationships are completely independent.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: So far, I understood that in the COPS model,
the peer receiving configuration is the one that initiates the connection.
For midcom, this would be the middlebox.

    Juergen

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 20:47:07 +0200

Scott,

> "policy" relationships are completely independent.

I agree that there may be some confusion about this point. But I see the 
difference between the PDP to consult on policy decissions and the 
COPS(-PR) PDP very clear.
For the initiation of the session/relationship:
As far as I know is it the PEP the one who intiates the COPS session.

Martin