Subject: [midcom] Qn. on draft-ietf-midcom-semantics-00

From: Rajith <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 14:22:27 +0530

Hi ,

	When an NE behind NAT sends a packet to external, a session ( with a port
bind ) will be established. I could not find any interface which would
enable the agent query this session details. The interface I am looking at
should give the agent details about the session or all existing sessions at
NAT. The input parameter could be an internal ip (+ port) or wild carded. An
interface which offers details about (an) already enabled session(s) without
an associated policy ID is what I am looking for.

	Is this outside the scope of MIDCOM ?

With Best Regards

Rajith

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 10:18:30 +0100

Rajith,

> an associated policy ID is what I am looking for.

When I got it right: You're looking for a protocol that fetches 
information about the current bindings in a NAT without configuring them 
earlier? Try the NAT MIB of the NAT working group:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-nat-natmib-05.txt

Martin

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:05:46 +0100

Rajith,

We have not considered a function like this yet. I agree that
it can be useful in certain situations. Currently, the semantics
document tries to satisfy basic needs derived from the Midcom
requirements document.

It may be the case that the future Midcom protocol will support
additional transactions. However, for convenience functions there
is always a tradeoff between the number of transactions to be
defined and implemented and the number of transactions to be
performed for achieving a certain state or for getting certain
information.

With the current semantics, you can get the desired information
by (1) using the group list transactions for learning about
all groups you may access, then (2) for each group listing all
memeber policy rules using the group status transactions, and
finally (3) for each rule performing the policy rule status
transactions that tells you whether a policy coveres the host
you are interested in.

    Juergen