Subject: [midcom] updated STUN I-D

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:32:50 -0500

Folks,

I've just submitted an updated STUN spec based on IESG comments. Until 
it appears in the archives, you can pick up a copy at:

http://www.jdrosen.net/papers/draft-ietf-midcom-stun-04.txt

Here are the changes:

* changed usage of client certs from MAY to MUST NOT [Bellovin]

* changed response code structure to align with SIP and HTTP. Note
that this required the introduction of three response codes (430-432)
not used by SIP or HTTP. Recommended reason phrases were defined.

* added back shared secret error response code, which can occur if a
shared secret request contains an unknown mandatory attribute.

* added 420 response code, to handle unknown attributes. Also added an
UNKNOWN-ATTRIBUTES attribute for responses with error code 420.

* added 500 and 600 response code

* more concise details on handling of unknown attributes in clients
and servers

* explicit statement that only ietf standards track RFCs can define
STUN extensions.

* removed statement about extensibility of message types

* removed extensibility of flags

* removed discard flag

* added reference to RFC 791 on how to encode STUN messages on the
wire (standard network byte ordering)

* specified that lengths of shared secrets, passwords, and reason
phrases needed to be multiples of 4 bytes to guarantee word alignment
of the protocol.

* changed the name of the FLAGS attribute to CHANGE-REQUEST, since the
only flags left were to change the IP/port, and extensibility was
removed.

* added the REFLECTED-FROM attribute, and specified that it MUST be
present in the response when the request contained a
RESPONSE-ADDRESS. Specified that it MUST contain the source IP of the
corresponding shared secret request. Specified handling when no
usernames are used, or when the username is obtained in other ways.

* Aadded non-normative text
suggesting how to compute the username and passwords so that the
required behavior for the attribute can be met statelessly.

* removed v6 support

-Jonathan R.
-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                72 Eagle Rock Ave.
Chief Scientist                             First Floor
dynamicsoft                                 East Hanover, NJ 07936
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom