Subject: Re: [midcom] RE: SNMPv3 as MIDCOM protocol: Opinions?

From: "Durham, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:32:56 -0800

Given the information collected during the IAB nm-ws from operators showing
that SNMP isn't used for configuring much of anything, I would strongly
object to removing COPS-PR from consideration. The directionality of
connection establishment for COPS-PR is easily circumvented by running a
dual mode PEP/PDP at the middlebox. Also, IPSP functionality, DiffServ,
Access Control, and Framework PIBs are all there at the wgs disposal. It
seems to me to be the perfect match.

-Dave

PS. Where is XML over HTTP or BEEP in the consideration? That's the
direction the nm-community seems to be going these days. 
_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Melinda Shore <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 19:30:28 -0500

> seems to me to be the perfect match.

I just double-checked this, and the current IESG policy is
to publish PIBs *only* as Informational RFCs.  People
involved with midcom efforts to date may not be aware that
PIBs are not published as IETF standards.

Melinda

---

From: Wes Hardaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 22:50:41 -0800

>>>>> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002 14:32:56 -0800 , "Durham, David" <[email-masked]> said:

David> Given the information collected during the IAB nm-ws from
David> operators showing that SNMP isn't used for configuring much of
David> anything, I would strongly object to removing COPS-PR from
David> consideration.

Well, if we took what they told us they did use for configuration then
we'd have to standardize an expect script.

-- 
Wes Hardaker
Network Associates Laboratories
_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Juergen Quittek <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 14:03:02 +0100

David,

> dual mode PEP/PDP at the middlebox. Also, IPSP functionality, DiffServ,

Could you elaborate how this dual mode solution works? We are
discussing solutions for some time already with Cedric and Kwok.
So far there we did not discuss a solution that I would call "easy".

    Juergen