Subject: [midcom] SNMPv3 as MIDCOM protocol: Opinions?

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 15:24:23 +0100

[please keep me in the recipient list, since I'm not subscribed to 
snmvp3 list]

Hi,

as you may have heard: the MIDCOM WG is currently doing a protocol 
evaluation which protocol to use as the MIDCOM protocol. SNMPv3 is 
amongst these candidates (diameter, cops(-pr), megaco).
Would you strongly recommend to use SNMPv3 as the MIDCOM protocol 
without having a bad feeling? Actually there are only a few pro and cons 
discussed so far.

Thanks in advance
Martin

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:17:44 +0100

>>>>> Martin Stiemerling writes:

Martin> as you may have heard: the MIDCOM WG is currently doing a
Martin> protocol evaluation which protocol to use as the MIDCOM
Martin> protocol. SNMPv3 is amongst these candidates (diameter,
Martin> cops(-pr), megaco).  Would you strongly recommend to use
Martin> SNMPv3 as the MIDCOM protocol without having a bad feeling?

Feeling is one dimension in a multi-dimensional space. And we all know
that SNMP has a reputation which is kind of special.

Anyway, it usually makes sense to also look at the functional
requirements and the features offered by a protocol if you are not
completely driven by feelings. Are the MIDCOM requirements spelled out
somewhere?

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder    <http://www.informatik.uni-osnabrueck.de/schoenw/>

---

From: Martin Stiemerling <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:43:33 +0100

Hi Juergen,

> completely driven by feelings. Are the MIDCOM requirements spelled out

Yes, they are:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3303.txt (architecture und framework)
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3304.txt (requirements)
The actual protocol evaluation is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-midcom-protocol-eval-06.txt

Thanks in advance
Martin

-- 
************************************************
NEW ADDRESS EFFECTIVE DECEMBER 23RD
Kurfuersten-Anlage 34, 69115 Heidelberg, Germany
phone, fax and email remain unchanged
************************************************

Martin Stiemerling

NEC Europe Ltd. -- Network Laboratories  [email-masked]
IPv4: http://www.ccrle.nec.de  IPv6: http://www.ipv6.ccrle.nec.de