Subject: [midcom] Some extensions to STUN.

From: Cullen Jennings <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:23:45 -0800

I'm interested in adding few other tests to characterize NATs.

One is testing to see if they rewrite data inside the payload of a UDP
packet. NATs have been observed that rewrite the mapped address inside the
stun packet. Multiple people have suggested a solution to this - an
extension that returned an encrypted (mostly likely with xor) form of the
the mapped address with some predefined key would detect this.

The other tests probably do not require any STUN extension. One would be to
look at NATs that changed their characteristics after the first packet. For
example some devices act like a full cone on the first packet then after the
first packet arrives, restrict down to only accept future packets from the
same location as this first packet. (Rohan, Dan Wing, others have proposed
this)

Another test would be to check if a NAT is sending to two different
addresses from the same port, will a packet on one flow update binding times
for both flows. Some recommendations are still needed on how to keep NAT
bindings alive. 

I suspect the deeper we look into how NATs operate, the more we will find
strange cases. This leads me to be fairly keen on using

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom

---

From: "Christian Stredicke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:38:15 +0100

We are trying to understand the Shared Secret Request server behavior. § 7.1
(http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-rosenberg-midcom-turn-04.txt)
says that the server must return a NONCE, but I can't find the definition of
the NONCE attribute.

Is it simply missing? What code should be used (0x0014)?

Christian

---

From: Jonathan Rosenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:38:38 -0500

Good catch, Christian. Yes, it is missing. I've added it in, assigning 
it as 0x0014 as you suggest. Its format is a series of qdtext or quoted 
pair; that is, the same exact grammar you'd find between the quotes if 
the nonce occured in a SIP message.

Thanks,
Jonathan R.

-- 
Jonathan D. Rosenberg, Ph.D.                600 Lanidex Plaza
Chief Technology Officer                    Parsippany, NJ 07054-2711
dynamicsoft
[email-masked]                     FAX:   (973) 952-5050
http://www.jdrosen.net                      PHONE: (973) 952-5000
http://www.dynamicsoft.com