Subject: [midcom] Protocol Action: 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Middlebox Communication' to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 17:49:17 -0500

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Definitions of Managed Objects for Middlebox Communication '
   <draft-ietf-midcom-mib-11.txt> as a Proposed Standard

This document is the product of the Middlebox Communication Working 
Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Magnus Westerlund and Lars Eggert.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-midcom-mib-11.txt

Technical summary:

The midcom working group was chartered to develop a protocol to
send requests from network endpoints/application participants to
network devices, initially focusing on firewalls and NATs.  The
charter required that the working group reuse an existing IETF
protocol if possible, and the working group followed an evaluation
process described in RFC 4097.  The protocol that best met
the evaluation criteria was SNMPv2.

The document being submitted for publication is the definition of
a MIB to be used to communicate pinhole requests to a firewall and
NAT table mapping requests to a NAT.

Working group summary:

There is working group consensus that this document is ready to
be published.

Protocol quality:

The protocol has received extensive review by applications experts
in the domain most likely to use a midcom protocol, by SNMP protocol
experts, and by middlebox experts.  We know of no existing
implementations, and it is not clear that it will be implemented given
the existence of competing protocols (for example, SIMCO).  This
protocol received particular attention in its early stages from
David Harrington, Wes Hardaker, and Mary Barnes, and recently from
its MIB Doctor, Juergen Shoenwaelder. 

The responsible AD was Magnus Westerlund and Melinda Shore the 
WG shepherd.

Note to RFC Editor
 
Section 13. Please move these 2 referneces to section 14. 

[RFC3303]   Srisuresh, P., Kuthan, J., Rosenberg, J., Molitor, A. and A.
            Rayhan, "Middlebox communication architecture and
            framework", RFC 3303, August 2002.

[RFC3304]   Swale, R.P., Mart, P.A., Sijben, P., Brimm, S. and M. Shore,
            "Middlebox Communications (midcom) Protocol Requirements",
            RFC 3304, August 2002.

_______________________________________________
midcom mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/midcom