Subject: [Mobike] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-mobike-design-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 18:50:01 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IKEv2 Mobility and Multihoming Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Design of the MOBIKE Protocol
	Author(s)	: T. Kivinen, H. Tschofenig
	Filename	: draft-ietf-mobike-design-04.txt
	Pages		: 35
	Date		: 2005-10-21
	
The MOBIKE (IKEv2 Mobility and Multihoming) working group is
   developing extensions for the Internet Key Exchange Protocol version
   2 (IKEv2).  These extensions should enable an efficient management of
   IKE and IPsec Security Associations when a host possesses multiple IP
   addresses and/or where IP addresses of an IPsec host change over time
   (for example, due to mobility).

   This document discusses the involved network entities, and the
   relationship between IKEv2 signaling and information provided by
   other protocols.  Design decisions for the MOBIKE protocol,
   background information and discussions within the working group are
   recorded.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobike-design-04.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to 
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.  
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce 
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-mobike-design-04.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-mobike-design-04.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.
_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike

---

From: Tero Kivinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 09:59:15 +0300

>    background information and discussions within the working group are

In this new version of the design draft, there is some mostly
rewritten sections about the choosing addresses and about NAT
traversal, some of the other parts are reorganized, and quite a lot of
text was also removed. So when reading this through, better keep that
in mind, i.e. even when you remember that the old version had
something about issue X later, do not assume so, but check it if you
think the issue X needs to be in the draft.

One change that I didn't yet do for this version was to check out the
terminology, and the need for that. There was a suggestion that we do
not need that section at all, but removing that would have required
rewriting the scenarios and scope sections also, so I decided not to
do it on this version.

This document is trying to give some background and design information
why we ended up using certaing method in the actual protocol document.
I.e. the protocol document should say we do X, and this document is
trying to tell why we ended up doing X, and what were the other
options, and why they were not selected.
-- 
[email-masked]
_______________________________________________
Mobike mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.machshav.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/mobike