Subject: MSDP MIB

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 22:59:36 -0700

I just republished the MSDP MIB.  Since MSDP is now approved, let's get
this finished up to go with it.  Here are the open issues from the
draft.  Some of them are irrelevant now since they applied to pieces
that we removed to get to the current version.  Comments are welcome.

--
We need Components to describe multiple instances of MSDP in the same
box (similar to the PIM MIB)

Need a static RPF-peer table (see spec, section 14.3)

Do we need an msdpPeerLastErrorSent, too, for what notification I last
sent to this peer?

The Backwards Transition notification won't trigger on established ->
disabled.  Is that desired?

A table to express policy was suggested on the MSDP mailing list.  More
discussion is required before including this in the MIB.  (Some of the
more discussion: other than filtering announcements at an RP, policy in
MSDP == black holes; policy should be in MBGP)

An OID for control of encapsulation (e.g. SA-encapsulate the first N
packets sent to this group?) was suggested, although it might be more
appropriate to be a table for fine-grained control.

Is the RowStatus object in the SACache appropriate?  (e.g. used to flush
potentially bad state)

Should there be a mechanism to describe alternate methods of RPF?  (e.g.
statically configured peer address and RP address lists - could be a
table indexed by peer address and RP address with a value of
accept/deny)  One or more MSDP default-peers?

Is it appropriate to use names to distinguish mesh groups?

Are there any other variables appropriate for configuring/managing mesh
groups?

Should the UDP port used for encapsulation be in the Peer table?

----- Begin forwarded message:

From: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-msdp-mib-07.txt
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 07:15:24 -0400
To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]

	Title		: Multicast Source Discovery protocol MIB
	Author(s)	: B. Fenner, D. Thaler
	Filename	: draft-ietf-msdp-mib-07.txt
	Pages		: 32
	Date		: 2003-5-29
	
This memo defines an experimental portion of the Management Information
Base (MIB) for use with network management protocols in the Internet
community.  In particular, it describes managed objects used for
managing Multicast Source Discovery Protocol (MSDP) [2] speakers.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msdp-mib-07.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-msdp-mib-07.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-msdp-mib-07.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

[Don't know how to fetch mail-server a3]

----- End forwarded message: