Subject: [multimob] State of IGMP/MLD Proxy Implementations

From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:22:21 +0100

Folks,

in previous technical discussions concerned with 'ready-to-deploy' 
solutions for a proxy-based solution as proposed in 
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-schmidt-multimob-pmipv6-mcast-deployment 
, the question arose on current proxy implementations.

As promised, we have tested a couple of them (including quick code 
reviews in the open source world) and found that all required features 
are splattered around, none of them combined in one implementation.

In detail:

    Cisco Edge Router  Software-based commodity edge routers (test device
       from the 26xx-Series) implement IGMPv2/v3 proxy functions only in
       combination with PIM-SM.  There is no support of MLD Proxy.
       Interfaces are dynamically configurable at runtime via the CLI,
       but multiple proxy instances are not supported.

    Linux igmpproxy  IGMPv2 Proxy implementation that permits a static
       configuration of downstream interfaces (simple bug fix required).
       Multiple instances are prevented by a lock (corresponding code re-
       used from a previous DVMRP implementation).  IPv6/MLD is
       unsupported.  Project page:
       http://sourceforge.net/projects/igmpproxy/.

    Linux gproxy  IGMPv3 Proxy implementation that permits configuration
       of the upstream interface, only.  Downstream interfaces are
       collected at startup without dynamic extension of this list.  No
       support of multiple instances or MLD.  Project page: http://
       potiron.loria.fr/projects/madynes/internals/perso/lahmadi/
       igmpv3proxy/.

    Linux ecmh  MLDv1/2 Proxy implementation without IGMP support that
       inspects IPv4 tunnels and detects entcapsulated MLD messages.
       Allows for dynamic addition of interfaces at runtime and multiple
       instances.  However, downstream interfaces cannot be configured.
       Project page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ecmh/

We are now thinking about re-working and maturing one of the Linux-based 
open source implementations. Is anybody willing to contribute?

This and more details will be part of the next version of the draft to 
be released soon.

Best wishes,

Thomas
-- 

Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt
° Hamburg University of Applied Sciences                   Berliner Tor 7 °
° Dept. Informatik, Internet Technologies Group    20099 Hamburg, Germany °
° http://www.haw-hamburg.de/inet                   Fon: +49-40-42875-8452 °
° http://www.informatik.haw-hamburg.de/~schmidt    Fax: +49-40-42875-8409 °