Subject: [multrans] Update of Multrans Problem Statement and Use Case draft

From: Tina TSOU <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 19:49:28 +0000

Dear all,
Version -03 of the Multrans Problem Statement and Use Case draft has 
been submitted. By agreement amongst the authors, the diagrams and 
updated descriptions from draft-tsou-multrans-use-cases-00 have been 
absorbed into the problem statement and use case draft.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jaclee-behave-v4v6-mcast-ps/ now 
presents the following use cases, all within the agreed context of IPTV:

1. IPv4 Receiver and Source Connected to an IPv6-Only Network (4-6-4)

2. IPv6 Receiver Connected to an IPv4 Source Through an IPv4 
Multicast-Incapable Access Network and an IPv6 Multicast-Capable Network 
(6-4-6-4)

3. IPv6 Receiver and Source Connected to an IPv4-Only Network (6-4-6)

4. IPv6 Receiver and IPv4 Source (6-4)

5. IPv4 Receiver and IPv6 Source (4-6)

The diagrams and accompanying text show a potential solution to the 
problem of differing IP versions through the use of nodes embodying 
"adaptation functions". The Multrans BoF was negotiated on the basis of 
solutions where these adaptation functions consisted of application 
layer gateways (ALGs). Comments on this assumption and how it should 
work are invited.

B. R.
Tina
+1-408-859-4996

---

From: Greg Shepherd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 13:25:59 -0700

Tina,

This list still seems to be missing the case Alain brought up in
Quebec - L2 last mile w/ both v4 & v6 receivers but only one stream
desired to serve both.

Greg

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Tina TSOU
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> multrans mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/multrans
>

---

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 16:58:06 -0400

I think this fits into the scenarios presented if the adaptation 
function is located at the customer site. Otherwise, I can't really see 
how it would be possible.

Tom Taylor

On 31/10/2011 4:25 PM, Greg Shepherd wrote:
> Quebec - L2 last mile w/ both v4&  v6 receivers but only one stream
> desired to serve both.
>
> Greg
>