Subject: [multrans] Inconsistencies in draft-jaclee-behave-v4v6-mcast-ps-03.txt

From: Tom Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2011 19:05:06 -0500

draft-jaclee-behave-v4v6-mcast-ps-03.txt was updated to include new use 
case text, but outside of Section 3, it was not touched. It now contains 
a number of inconsistencies that will need clearing up. This is just a 
note of the the work that has to be done. I will propose text in other 
notes.

Section 2.1: the 6-4-6-4 case (Section 3.2) is not consistent with the 
"Multicast-enabled networks only" restriction in scope. This obviously 
goes beyond the editorial to a group decision on what should be in scope.

Section 4.2: text is needed to allow for the possibility that an ALG can 
initiate a subscription on behalf of a receiver.

Section 4.4: the final paragraph is again inconsistent with the 6-4-6-4 
case. Earlier in the paragraph, need text to indicate that if an ALG 
initiates a subscription on behalf of a receiver, interworking between 
various versions of IGMP and MLD may be avoided, and similarly one could 
avoid combinations of MLD and PIMv4 or IGMP and PIMv6. Given that the 
sub-sections of 4.4 continue to discuss interworking, perhaps an 
additional sub-section could be added to discuss the ALG approach. Yet 
another sub-section could deal with use of ALGs between PIMv4 and PIMv6 
networks.

Section 5: will naturally be updated to match the Multrans charter if 
one is agreed.

Tom Taylor