Subject: [nemo] Multi-Homing Taxanomy

From: Chan-Wah Ng <[email-masked]>
Date: 26 Apr 2003 01:00:49 +0800

Hi all,

This is an attempt to capture what have been discussed on the mailing
list thread: "Multiple Egress vs multihoming".  I guess we can pretty
much agree on the complete taxanomy now, and discussion can then be
carry on forward with this set of taxanomy.  My am is to update the
draft 'draft-ng-nemo-multihoming-issues-00.txt' (perhaps renaming it to
draft-ng-nemo-multi-egress-issues-00.txt').

In the discussion of multi-egress mobile network, we identify three
parameters, collectively a truple of (w,x,y) to classify multi-egress
mobile network into 8 different categories.

'w' differentiate the case of single-vs-multiple mobile routers on a
mobile network, where
  w = 0: A mobile router with more than one gloabl address
         may be of the multiple egress interface,
         or multiple addresses bound to the same interface
    = 1: More than one mobile router

'x' differentiates the case of single-vs-multiple home agents the MR(s)
send binding updates to, where
  x = 0: A single HA for all bindings of the mobile network prefices
    = 1: The binding mobile prefices is spread across more than one HAs 

'y' differentiates the case of single-vs-multiple mobile network
prefices advertised to the mobile network nodes, where
  y = 0: A single prefix is advertise to the MNNs
    = 1: More than one prefices is advertised to the MNNs

With the above classifications, we have 8 different categories:

(0,0,0): single MR, single HA, single prefix
(0,0,1): single MR, single HA, multiple prefices
(0,1,0): single MR, multiple HAs, single prefix
(0,1,1): single MR, multiple HAs, multiple prefices
(1,0,0): multiple MRs, single HA, single prefix
(1,0,1): multiple MRs, single HA, multiple prefices
(1,1,0): multiple MRs, multiple HAs, single prefix
(1,1,1): multiple MRs, multiple HAs, multiple prefices

Is everyone agreeable on this taxanomy?

/rgds
/cwng