Subject: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-boucadair-netconf-req-00.txt

From: "Andrea Westerinen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:51:20 -0700

I have some comments on the draft.  Here they are:

1. An item missed in the terminology section (Section 3) is "Service
Offering".  It is used in several of the other definitions.

2. Section 6, which discusses Current Issues, presents requirements also (I
see lots of uses of the word SHOULD).  Are all of these items included in
the Requirements Section, Section 8?  It would be valuable to capture all of
them.

3. Section 8.1.1, item 5, discusses support for a reporting mechanism for
statistics.  I think that more detail is needed since the statistical
information itself is part of a data model, but "protocol" aspects deal with
the ability to send lots of data at a rapid rate, and/or to filter the data
transmitted based on thresholds, time intervals, etc.  I think that you mean
the latter but the current wording is quite vague.

4. The first sentence of Section 8.2 is very difficult for me to parse.  Do
you mean to say "Several factors contribute to the complexity of
configuration.  These include the increase in network service offerings and
the wide variety of protocols, as well as the diversity of vendors and
product offerings." - or something else?

5. Sections 8.2.1.1 and 8.2.2.4 mix identification of an interface and a
tunnel (where the ids could be arbitrary and opaque, but MUST be unique)
with naming and configuration properties (which should carry specific
semantics).  This information needs to be separated out into identity
requirements and data model requirements (which provide all the relevant
config and relationship info).

6. Section 8.2.2, Forwarding Services, presents good requirements for data
model content, and should be clearly distinguished from the protocol
requirements.

7. In Section 8.2.3.4.2, I have a problem with saying that integrity MUST be
provided, and then saying MAY/SHOULD in the following sentences.  I think
that application config data MUST be protected, and this MAY be accomplished
by security at the network level.  You might even want to go further, but
this is a start.

8. Section 8.2.3.4.6, Profiles, starts to talk about privilege levels.  Do
you mean "Roles" and RBAC?  If so, we should be clear about this, and
separate the definition of Privileges from Roles (which group privileges and
possibly other Roles).

Andrea 

>To: [email-masked]
>From: [email-masked]
>Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 15:29:23 -0400
>Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-boucadair-netconf-req-00.txt
>
>A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
>directories.
>
>
>         Title           : Requirements for Efficient and Automated 
> Configuration Management
>         Author(s)       : M. Boucadair, et al.
>         Filename        : draft-boucadair-netconf-req-00.txt
>         Pages           : 18
>         Date            : 2004-7-9
>
>Given the ever-increasing importance of configuration tasks for the
>    provisioning of a wide range of IP resources, networks, and services
>    in today's Internet, this draft aims at listing the basic
>    requirements that should drive the specification of a protocol to
>    convey configuration information towards network devices. This memo
>    doesn't aim at listing candidate protocols to convey such
>    information, nor at choosing one of these. This draft basically
>    describes a whole set of issues a service provider has to deal with,
>    hence a list of requirements to better address such issues.
>
>A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-boucadair-netconf-req-00.txt

Mark Basinski, CCIE #4422
Product Manager, NMTG Product Marketing
Cisco Systems, Inc.

<[email-masked]>
Tel: +1.408.527.7753
FAX: +1.408.527.6351

--
to unsubscribe send a message to [email-masked] with
the word 'unsubscribe' in a single line as the message text body.
archive: <http://ops.ietf.org/lists/netconf/>