Subject: [Netconf] malformed problem in 4741bis

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2011 09:34:03 -0800

Hi,

The latest draft introduced a new error-tag 'malformed-message':

sec 3:

    All NETCONF messages MUST be well-formed XML, encoded in UTF-8.  If a
    peer receives an <rpc> message that is not well-formed XML or not
    encoded in UTF-8, it SHOULD reply with a "malformed-message" error.
    If a reply cannot be sent for any reason, the server MUST close the
    session.

Appendix A:

  error-tag:      malformed-message
  error-type:     rpc
  error-severity: error
  error-info:     none
  Description:    A message could not be handled because it failed to
                  be parsed correctly. For example, the message is not
                  well-formed XML or it uses an invalid character set.

Very nice -- but a base:1.1 server cannot send this error-tag to
a base:1.0 client.  The server agrees to use RFC 4741 unless both
peers advertise base:1.1.  So more text is needed explaining that.

Andy