Subject: [Netconf] WG Session Summary

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 22:39:51 +0200

Hi Dan, 

below is a summary and action items from the NETCONF WG session on July
25, 2011 in 
Quebec City, Canada: 

- We had approx. 37 participants in the 2 hour NETCONF session. 
- We reviewed the status of the WG
- We went through the chartered WG items and had a good discussion and
review of the 
documents.

Status of the documents:
(http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/81/slides/netconf-0.ppt)

- The documents With-defaults capability, 4741bis and 4742bis have been
published as RFC 6243,
RFC 6241 and RFC 6242.
- Following documents are in WG LC till August 1st and they have been
discussed in the session 
with their issues:
  - Network Configuration Protocol Access Control Model
(draft-ietf-netconf-access-control-04)
  - NETCONF System Notifications
(draft-ietf-netconf-system-notifications-04)

Discussion on chartered items:

NETCONF NACM:
(http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/81/slides/netconf-3.pdf)

- Andy brought up the open issues for NACM.
- Andy will send the proposed text for the issues to the maillist and
prepare a revision for 
the draft within 2 weeks.
- WG co-chairs will start a new WG LC once the revision is available.

NETCONF System Notifications:
(http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/81/slides/netconf-1.pdf)

- Andy brought up the open issues for System notifications draft.
- Andy will send the proposed text for the issues to the maillist and
prepare a revision for 
the draft within 2 weeks.
- WG co-chairs will start a new WG LC once the revision is available.

Discussion on not chartered items:

NETCONF Light:
(http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/81/slides/netconf-2.pdf)

- Juergen Schoenwaelder presented on the implementation of the NETCONF
Light 
(NETCONF on Constrained Devices).
- Different participants showed an interest on the draft. Beside
constrained devices it can 
also be used for devices which don't want to implement the whole NETCONF
standard. 
Dan suggested to follow up the work and others proposed to keep the
document alive with 
the goal to make e.g. Informational.

Reverse SSH:
(http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/81/slides/netconf-6.pdf)

- Kent Watsen presented on the Reverse SSH draft and the discussion took
place in SSH 
and SAAG maillists.
- There are 4 options for implementation with different pro & contra.
- It has been discussed whether it could be an experimental based on the
options easy to 
implement. 
- 9-10 persons think that the work is interesting to do.
- Which way to go and whether it can be done in NETCONF WG needs further
discussion.

Bert & Mehmet