Subject: Re: [Netconf] NETCONF message serialization

From: Alan Luchuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 14:41:22 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

AB>I thought there was text that this serialization was just within a single 
AB>session.  I remember that was the intent of the co-authors.

Thanks to Andy, Martin, and Kent for clarifying the intended behavior.  
Should there be an update to RFC 6241, I suggest adding a few words to 
Section 4.5 to clarify that the serialization occurs per-session.  
Something like:

4.5.  Pipelining

   NETCONF <rpc> requests received on a single session MUST be processed 
   serially by the managed device.  Additional <rpc> requests MAY be sent 
   on a single session before previous ones have been completed.  The 
   managed device MUST send responses on the session only in the order the 
   requests were received.  A managed device is not required to serially
   process <rpc> requests received from different sessions.

Regards,
--Alan

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Alan Luchuk               SNMP Research, Inc.          Voice:  +1 865 573 1434
 Senior Software Engineer  3001 Kimberlin Heights Road  FAX:    +1 865 573 9197
 [email-masked]           Knoxville, TN  37920-9716    http://www.snmp.com/
 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 07:18:34 +0200

Hi,

I think it is very reasonable to require atomicity of all writes to all datastores, even across sessions, otherwise a concurrent <get> may obtain inconsistent data - even with locks.

Lada

On Apr 26, 2012, at 8:41 PM, Alan Luchuk wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Netconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C