Subject: [Netconf] Possibility of a NETCONF and YANG Primer

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:29:46 +0100

Hi,

Were I to undertake writing a NETCONF and YANG primer, could someone
point me at any documents or particular email threads that would help me
gain an understanding of the discussions, guidelines, etc. that helped
shape them? For example, would I be right in assuming that RFC3444,
RFC3535 and possibly draft-schoenw-sming-lessons-01 had an impact?

Thanks,

Jonathan

This email and any files attached are intended for the addressee and may contain information of a confidential nature. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that this email was sent to you in error and you should not disclose, distribute, print, copy or make other use of this email or its attachments. Such actions, in fact, may be unlawful. In compliance with the various Regulations and Acts, General Dynamics United Kingdom Limited reserves the right to monitor (and examine for viruses) all emails and email attachments, both inbound and outbound. Email communications and their attachments may not be secure or error- or virus-free and the company does not accept liability or responsibility for such matters or the consequences thereof. General Dynamics United Kingdom Limited, Registered Office: 21 Holborn Viaduct, London EC1A 2DY. Registered in England and Wales No: 1911653.

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:43:08 +0200

> RFC3535 and possibly draft-schoenw-sming-lessons-01 had an impact?

RFC3535 has been important in getting the IETF to start work on a new
network configuration protocol. It also delievered some requirements
but other than that it did not really influence much of the design.

Some of us wrote an IEEE Communications Magazine paper providing a
concise summary of what NETCONF / YANG is. Perhaps this is useful.

http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?tp=&arnumber=5560601&contentType=Journals+%26+Magazines&sortType%3Dasc_p_Sequence%26filter%3DAND%28p_IS_Number%3A5560574%29%26rowsPerPage%3D50

And then there is of course also RFC 6244 which has some motivation
and introductory material.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:55:05 +0200

Please check also http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6087 
"Guidelines for Authors and Reviewers of YANG Data Model Documents". 

Mehmet 

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
Behalf Of ext
> Juergen Schoenwaelder
> Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 10:43 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Netconf] Possibility of a NETCONF and YANG Primer
> 
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 09:29:46AM +0100,
> [email-masked] wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?tp=&arnumber=5560601&c
ontentType=
Journals+%26+Magazines&sortType%3Dasc_p_Sequence%26filter%3DAND%28p_IS_N
> umber%3A5560574%29%26rowsPerPage%3D50
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Netconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf

---

From: Ladislav Lhotka <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 11:08:26 +0200

On Jun 20, 2012, at 10:29 AM, <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi,
>  
> Were I to undertake writing a NETCONF and YANG primer, could someone point me at any documents or particular email threads that would help me gain an understanding of the discussions, guidelines, etc. that helped shape them? For example, would I be right in assuming that RFC3444, RFC3535 and possibly draft-schoenw-sming-lessons-01 had an impact?

Regarding YANG and DSDL mapping, some tutorials are available at yang-central.org.

Lada

> netmod mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netmod

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 14:39:54 +0200 (CEST)

> RFC3535 and possibly draft-schoenw-sming-lessons-01 had an impact?

For YANG, there are some notes available at
http://www.yang-central.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/YangDocuments, for
example http://www.yang-central.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/WhyYang.

I should also say that I think this is a great idea!  I very much
encourage you to write this document.

If you start writing something, I am pretty sure others (myself
included) can help with information, or even text for certain
sections.

/martin

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:08:26 -0700

Hi -

[email-masked] wrote:

> Were I to undertake writing a NETCONF and YANG primer,
> could someone point me at any documents or particular email
> threads that would help me gain an understanding of the discussions,
> guidelines, etc. that helped shape them?
...

You might also find some background material in
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-presuhn-rcdml/
Like RFC3535, though it delivered some requirements,
its actual influence on the design is another question.

Randy

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 19:15:00 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:29 AM

<tp>
I was assuming it would be an RFC, Informational.  There are precedents
for other protocols, although not too many.

I too would be happy to review and comment.

Tom Petch

PS I wish you could eliminate the trailer that says your e-mails may be
confidential,
 although I realise corporate culture makes that very difficult.  Which
is perhaps why there are a number of gmail addresses on IETF lists.

Thanks,

Jonathan

---

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:10:33 +0200 (CEST)

> for other protocols, although not too many.

I think a web site might be better.  It can be perceived as "lighter"
and easier to read, and you are not limited to 72 ascii chars per
line :)  It is easier to make pretty pictures etc.   I think both
pyang and yangdump has options to generate pretty html versions of
YANG modules.

/martin