Subject: [Netconf] chunked framing and constrained devices

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 14:53:10 +0200

Hi,

one thing we noted during our implementation exercise on devices where
memory is a very limited resource is that chunked framing is pretty
cool for sending data since this allows to send larger NETCONF
messages without having to have a large buffer to hold it. On the
receiving side, things are not as nice since the sender chunks
messages to its own liking. There is no way to tell the sender "please
do not send chunks larger than my buffer" since the assumption is that
there is always enough memory. For really small devices, we found that
it is crucial that sizes of the IP packet, TCP segment, TLS record and
NETCONF chunk are all well aligned so that a single buffer can be used
to process a packet all the way up to the server logic.

This is just for your information in case we ever get serious about
NETCONF on constrained devices...

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>