Subject: [Netconf] advancement on standards track.

From: "Bert Wijnen \(IETF\)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 21:45:44 +0200

RFC 6410, in particular section 2.2.m states:

    (4) If the technology required to implement the specification
        requires patented or otherwise controlled technology, then the
        set of implementations must demonstrate at least two independent,
        separate and successful uses of the licensing process.

So we wonder if that means that we need to investigate any 
"patent disclosures" or "patenet claims" against our RFCs.
We are not lawyers... so ??
What if we believe the claims are justs bogus.
For example, if the patent applications were filed (long) after
the first internet-drafts describing the technology were posted?

So I wonder, has rfc6410 created a situation where a company 
can block (certainly delay for a long time) the advancement
on standards track by just filing a patent disclosure against some
RFC ???

Bert Wijnen
co-chair of NetConf WG