Subject: [Netconf] RFC4743 and RFC4744 (Netconf over SOAP and BEEP) to historic

From: "Bert Wijnen (IETF)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:50:09 +0200

Can't submit a rev 00 I-D at the moment.

But since we have the "making RFC4743 and RFC4744 to Historic"
topic as part of a possible revised WG charter on the agenda,
I did quickly do an initial writeup, so people can see how
we might approach this.

I have it attached below.

Bert

----------------------------------------------------------------------
netconf                                                        B. Wijnen
Internet-Draft                                             July 19, 2012
Obsoletes: 4743/4744 (if approved)
Intended status: Informational
Expires: January 20, 2013

                  RFC4743 and RFC4744 to Historic status
           draft-bwijnen-netconf-rfc4743-rfc4744-to-historic-00

Abstract

    This document moves RFC4743 (Using NETCONF over the Simple Object
    Access Protocol (SOAP)) and RFC4744 (Using the NETCONF Protocol over
    the Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP)) to HISTORIC status to
    reflect the fact that those two documents have shown very little (if
    any) implementations and deployment.  Furthermore, no-one in the
    NETCONF WG is nterested or volunteering to work on them anymore.

Status of this Memo

    This Internet-Draft is submitted in full conformance with the
    provisions of BCP 78 and BCP 79.

    Internet-Drafts are working documents of the Internet Engineering
    Task Force (IETF).  Note that other groups may also distribute
    working documents as Internet-Drafts.  The list of current Internet-
    Drafts is at http://datatracker.ietf.org/drafts/current/.

    Internet-Drafts are draft documents valid for a maximum of six months
    and may be updated, replaced, or obsoleted by other documents at any
    time.  It is inappropriate to use Internet-Drafts as reference
    material or to cite them other than as "work in progress."

    This Internet-Draft will expire on January 20, 2013.

Copyright Notice

    Copyright (c) 2012 IETF Trust and the persons identified as the
    document authors.  All rights reserved.

    This document is subject to BCP 78 and the IETF Trust's Legal
    Provisions Relating to IETF Documents
    (http://trustee.ietf.org/license-info) in effect on the date of
    publication of this document.  Please review these documents
    carefully, as they describe your rights and restrictions with respect
    to this document.  Code Components extracted from this document must
    include Simplified BSD License text as described in Section 4.e of

Wijnen                  Expires January 20, 2013                [Page 1]

Internet-Draft          RFC4743-RFC4744-historic               July 2012

    the Trust Legal Provisions and are provided without warranty as
    described in the Simplified BSD License.

Table of Contents

    1.  Introduction  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
    2.  Acknowledgements  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
    3.  IANA Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
    4.  Security Considerations . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
    5.  References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
      5.1.  Normative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
      5.2.  Informative References  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3
    Author's Address  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4

Wijnen                  Expires January 20, 2013                [Page 2]

Internet-Draft          RFC4743-RFC4744-historic               July 2012

1.  Introduction

    This document moves RFC 4743 [RFC4743] and RFC 4744 [RFC4744] to
    HISTORIC status in accordance with RFC 2026 [RFC2026].  These have
    seen very little (if any) implementations or deployment, and none of
    the initial proponents are active in the NETCONF space anymorei.  No-
    one (else) in the WG is interested or willing to pick up
    responsibility for these documents.  Possibly changes might be needed
    for compatibility with NETCONF 1.1.

    In the WG nobody gave a positive response when asked who is using it
    or wants to keep it.

2.  Acknowledgements

    Thanks to the original editors/authors of RFC4743 and RFC4744.  At
    the time, these NETCONF transports seemed to be attractive.

3.  IANA Considerations

    This memo includes no request to IANA.

4.  Security Considerations

    This draft introduces no new security considerations.

5.  References

5.1.  Normative References

    [RFC4743]  Goddard, T., "Using NETCONF over the Simple Object Access
               Protocol (SOAP)", RFC 4743, December 2006.

    [RFC4744]  Lear, E. and K. Crozier, "Using the NETCONF Protocol over
               the Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP)", RFC 4744,
               December 2006.

5.2.  Informative References

    [RFC2026]  Bradner, S., "The Internet Standards Process -- Revision
               3", BCP 9, RFC 2026, October 1996.

Wijnen                  Expires January 20, 2013                [Page 3]

Internet-Draft          RFC4743-RFC4744-historic               July 2012

Author's Address

    Bert Wijnen
    Schagen 33
    Linschoten,   3461 GL
    Netherlands

    Phone: +31 348-407-775
    Email: [email-masked]

Wijnen                  Expires January 20, 2013                [Page 4]