Subject: [Netconf] Summary of the NETCONF WG Session and Action Items in IETF #84

From: "Ersue, Mehmet (NSN - DE/Munich)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 23:42:13 +0200

Hi Benoit, All,

below is a summary and action items from the discussion in the NETCONF
WG session on Monday, July 30, 2012 in the IETF 84 meeting.

PS: Draft authors please act as noted below.

- We had approx. 50 participants in the 1,5 hour NETCONF session. 
- We reviewed the status of the WG
- We went through the documents which are proposed to become WG items
and had a good discussion.
- We also discussed documents which are not planned as WG documents.

WG status:
The WG had long discussions on the Netconf-Lite document without much
progress. At the end there seemed to be an agreement that Netconf 1.1
should be advanced to the next level and the so called Netconf-Lite
should be a separate document. A draft charter proposal is available for
discussion.

NETCONF Over TLS update - RFC 5539bis:
- The participants were in favor of adopting the document as WG item: 12
in favor, none opposed
- The action items are:
  - announce on maillist that we accept it as a WG doc (done with this
email)
  - AI: Badra submits a draft-ietf-netconf-5539bis-00
  - There will 2 weeks for comments
  - The co-chairs will start then a WGLC.

Netconf Lite:
- The participants were in favor of adopting the document as WG item: 14
in favor 1 opposed
  - Use of DTLS as a transport for Netconf-Lite would require the
development of a new transport binding. This is not part of our work
now.
  - Another document name has been suggested: netconf-core (the document
title can be decided later),
  - The co-chairs asked for showing hands concerning the intended status
of the document: 
    5 persons are in favor of developing an Experimental document
    8 persons are in favor of having a standard track document
  - So the co-chairs assume we have rough consensus for STDS track.
  - Charter can say develop a modular netconf-lite
  - The current document with agreed changes can be used as a starting
WG document. 
    AI: The authors are asked to submit draft-ietf-netconf-lite-00.
  - The sentence about Coman activity in the charter text will be
removed.

- Yangyfying rfc5277 (notifications)
   - Nobody in the session was in favor of yangyfying the RFC 5277 only.
People rather would like to open an 5277bis and solved different issues.
   - However, the WG is not eager to do it now.
   - This document will be removed from the WG charter proposal.

Making BEEP and SOAP transports historic:
- 12 persons are in favor, opposed 0
  - This will be made part of the charter.

- Juergen brought in the request for a "get state" mechanism.
  - The WG agrees that a discussion is needed first. Describing the
issue and a problem statement with an individual I-D would be good.
    We can discuss the problem statement and potential solutions.

Report on implementation/deployment of Netconf + SSH transport
- 8 persons are in favor, none opposed

Advancing Netconf 1.1 and SSH transport:
- 7 persons are in favor, none opposed
  - The co-chairs will add this as a charter item to advance the RFC
6241 and 6242.

- Question whether people are in favor of the charter in concept as
presented:
   12 in favor, none opposed

Netconf over Websocket:
- WG chairs believe that after many presentations and individual I-Ds
there is insufficient support in the WG to work on this (2 in favor, 2
opposed, 3 abstains).
- The author is advised to submit as individual document if he wants it
published as an RFC.

- We had some discussion on YANG API, but not enough time and not mature
enough.
- Did not have time to discuss YANG conformance issues.

Bert & Mehmet