Subject: [Netconf] client/ server terminology -?

From: "Victor Lyamtsev" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 15:12:59 +0000

Hello,
It's my understanding ( from standard) that "client" is an application that makes configuration request and "server" is an application (RPC server) that acts on it.... So, if I have 100 managed devices, does it mean I have to have "server" on each device? Is it possible to have one RPC server and 100 "actor" applications, like SNMP traps?
What is the purpose of "manager"? 
Can someone clarify client/server/manager terminology?
Thanks,

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2013 17:31:16 +0100

On Fri, Jan 04, 2013 at 03:12:59PM +0000, Victor Lyamtsev wrote:
> Hello,
> It's my understanding ( from standard) that "client" is an application that makes configuration request and "server" is an application (RPC server) that acts on it.... So, if I have 100 managed devices, does it mean I have to have "server" on each device? 

Yes.

> Is it possible to have one RPC server and 100 "actor" applications, like SNMP traps?

Now you are talking about notifications. Notifications are emitted by
the server and received by clients that subscribe to an event stream.

> What is the purpose of "manager"? Can someone clarify
> client/server/manager terminology?

NETCONF does not use the term 'manager'. But basically, a NETCONF
management applications includes a NETCONF client to talking to
NETCONF servers. See RFC 6244 for a general overview or the slides of
my NETCONF YANG tutorial that I presented a few IETFs ago.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>