Subject: [Netconf] Long lived security Sessions a security risk

From: Balazs Lengyel <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 10:41:35 +0100

Hello All,
The netconf notification RFC5277 assumes we have a long running open 
Netconf session where the node can send its notifications. As the node 
can have the need to send notifications any time, this means that 
notification sessions are potentially long lived, being open for days, 
or even months. I was wondering, is it not a security risk to keep such 
long lived sessions?
1) The encryption might be broken after some time (OK SSH MAY have 
rekeying after some time)
2) Reauthentication might be needed after some time. E.g. to avoid the 
risk from compromised user identities or to allow changes in user 
identities, periodic re-authentication might be needed.
3) Periodic reauthorisation might be needed after some time for the same 
reason.

What is the best practice to handle the above issues? Shall the 
Notification session be periodically reestablished? The security 
considerations in RFC5277 do not say anything about the problem.

regards Balazs

-- 
Balazs Lengyel                       Ericsson Hungary Ltd.
System Manager
ECN: 831 7320                        Tel: +36-1-437-7320
Mobile: +36-70-330-7909              email: [email-masked]

---

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 16:07:27 +0000

SSH implementations since circa 2001 have implemented rekeying.
Cryptographically, there is now never enough entropy lost for an attack.

Your other concerns seem more a local policy decision - e.g. how often do
you change the locks on your house?

On 2/19/13 4:41 AM, "Balazs Lengyel" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>_______________________________________________
>Netconf mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
>