Subject: Re: [Netconf] zerotouch discussion (was: NETCONF call home and new port assignment)

From: Kent Watsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:33:24 +0000

>I think the term ³behind² is confusing. I¹m assuming device (router,
>switch, etc) is in the public network (outside the NAT) and NMS is in the
>private network. NMS can open connections to any device without problems
>but reverse connections are normally not allowed.

Heh, I was expected thisŠ

OK, consider this diagram:

       NMS --- GW-1 -------- Internet --------- GW-2 --- device

>From the NMS's POV, the device is "behind" GW-2
>From the device's POV, the NMS is "behind" GW-1

What you are describing is GW-1 being a NAT, potentially blocking access
to the NMS's real IP/port, in which case the device would NOT be able to
"call home"

K.

---

From: "Reinaldo Penno (repenno)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:38:24 +0000

Right, the NAT (or Firewall) could be actually embedded in GW-1. I’ve
faced this quite a few times in the context of SNMP.