Subject: Re: [Netconf] Netconf fragmentation-//FW: New Version Notification for draft-liu-netconf-fragmentation-00.txt

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 09:23:01 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Hi -

>From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Jun 16, 2014 4:01 AM
>To: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
>Cc: Zhengguangying <[email-masked]>, Yangang <[email-masked]>, Netconf <[email-masked]>, Yangshouchuan <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: [Netconf] Netconf fragmentation-//FW: New Version Notification for draft-liu-netconf-fragmentation-00.txt
...
>What I am saying is that at the end of the day, once could have
>modeled a 'create-subscription' rpc as a long lasting rpc, much like a
>'ping' that runs indefinitely or a 'tail -f' that runs indefinitely. I
>think we created a special purpose solution for notifications but in
>hindsight it could have been equally possible to build a more general
>purpose mechanism.

Yes, but such an approach to notifications has a few drawbacks,
mostly tied to the limitation that it can realistically only
be expected to work for the lifetime of the connection on which
it was initiated, and clearly not in "call home if you catch fire"
situations.

Randy

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 09:33:32 -0700

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 9:23 AM, Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]
> wrote:

> >Cc: Zhengguangying <[email-masked]>, Yangang <
> [email-masked]>, Netconf <[email-masked]>, Yangshouchuan <
> [email-masked]>
> >Subject: Re: [Netconf] Netconf fragmentation-//FW: New Version
> Notification for draft-liu-netconf-fragmentation-00.txt
> ...

This is the major complaint I hear wrt/ NETCONF notifications -- that a
session
has to be initiated and maintained by the client in order to hear
notifications
from a server.

IMO, call-home may help, but the cost of NETCONF session startup is so high,
a notification session will still be maintained by the client for every
server.

Randy

Andy

>
> _______________________________________________
> Netconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
>

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 18:53:40 +0200

> it was initiated, and clearly not in "call home if you catch fire"

Yes, but RFC 5277 does exactly that - it ties notifications
subscription to the underlying session. If you catch fire, you 
need to use something else to call for help.

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>