Subject: Re: [Netconf] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-09, overview

From: Randy Presuhn <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 10:50:57 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

Hi -

>From: "t.petch" <[email-masked]>
>Sent: Jan 23, 2016 4:51 AM
>To: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
>Cc: Netconf <[email-masked]>
>Subject: Re: [Netconf] WG Last Call for draft-ietf-netconf-restconf-09, overview
...
>To me it is abundantly clear that the user must understand NETCONF in
>depth in order to make sense of this I-D

That is very much my impression after attempting to review the document.
I'm reasonably familiar with network management, and have been casually
following NETCONF for a while, and still found the document very slow
going.  I think fully understanding this document requires a better
understanding of NETCONF than one would gain merely by following the
activity on this list.

> and I extrapolate that to
>understanding NETCONF in order to make use of restconf.

I don't fully endorse the logic, but I agree with the conclusion.
Reading this document has not left me feeling like I'd be able
to use RESTCONF productively unless much of the stuff the document
talks about were well-hidden by a well-crafted application, or
I had learned and totally internalized the NETCONF weltanschauung.

>  There may or
>may not be a need to have access to NETCONF client/server, which is my
>point above, but there has to be an understanding of the concepts of
>NETCONF in order to make sense of restconf.
...

Yes, that is my impression as well after reading this document.

Randy