Subject: [Netconf] js review of yang patch

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 18:48:14 +0100

Here is my review of draft-ietf-netconf-yang-patch-07.

- The introduction says that there is a need "to patch NETCONF
  [RFC6241] datastores" but then there is no binding to use YANG patch
  with NETCONF... I guess this is due to the fact that we lack an
  overall architectural framework and hence we use 'NETCONF datastore'
  - but still kind a funny. Perhaps "NETCONF" simply be removed here
  since the sentence does actually explain what a datastore is.

- But then the following sentence states that a "simpler edit request
  format" is needed. I guess this implicitly refers to edit-config
  and if this is indeed a requirement, then the document fails to
  deliver since there is no binding to NETCONF.

- Should it be 'patch procedure' or 'edit procedure' instead of
  'transaction procedure'? What has the 'ordered edit list' approach
  to do with transactions or transaction procedures?

- Why does section 2 only talk about how to use yang-patch with
  RESTCONF and ignore NETCONF?

- The YANG module uses YANG 1.1 (good) but the text imports terms etc.
  from RFC 6020 and reference statements refer to sections in RFC
  6020. I think the document should consistently refer to RFC 6020bis.

- The <CODE BEGIN> date included in the file is not in sync with
  the revision date. (Perhaps add an RFC editor note to make sure
  these are in sync in the final version?)

- How do I use yang-patch with multiple datastores? Suppose I want to
  edit an ephemeral datastore - how do I select the datastore? It
  should be part of the target (that is not be part of the patch
  itself).

- The Registrant Contact in section 4.1 is wrong; this is a product of
  the NETCONF WG and not the NETMOD WG.

- Security considerations are worded to be RESTCONF specific.

- I have not tried to verify the examples, I hope they are correct
  (and that the authors have tools in place to verify this while
  editing the I-D).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1 | 28759 Bremen | Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>