Subject: [Netconf] Fwd: NETCONF/NETMOD charters and the revised-datastores draft

From: Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:15:19 +0100

Forwarded to avoid cross-posting.

Regards, Benoit

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	NETCONF/NETMOD charters and the revised-datastores draft
Date: 	Mon, 20 Mar 2017 12:14:23 +0100
From: 	Benoit Claise <[email-masked]>
To: 	NETMOD Working Group <[email-masked]>

Dear all,

The NETMOD chairs, the NETCONF chairs, and I had a call regarding
draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores & charters.

First of, we must stress that this piece of work is an essential
building block in the world of data model-driven management.
We also believe we have the right set of people working on this. Good.
So, in the end, the location (NETMOD or NETCONF) has been of lesser
importance to me.
I believe that we've been spending too much time debating where to
develop this work, NETMOD or NETCONF.  Now it's time to make a decision.

While the NETMOD WG charter focuses on the YANG language developments &
encodings & some generic YANG modules, while the NETCONF WG charter
focuses on the protocol constructs, we've been having blurry boundaries
at times. Ex: is the YANG library a generic YANG module or an element of
YANG module discovery, replacing the NETCONF hello message?
We now deal with a third aspect: the non-protocol specific aspects of
YANG or the operating context of the YANG language. With the
draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores in mind, data stores can be
considered as views on YANG data models.

After much discussion, the decisions are that the
draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores should be worked in the NETMOD WG
and that the targeted status of standard track is right (to be described
in the milestone, as guideline).

Unless there are new arguments, not yet brought up to the two lists,
let's now devote our energy to the specifications work.

Regards, Benoit (OPS AD).