Subject: [Netconf] comments on draft-ietf-netconf-keystore-02

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 17:22:36 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

Some quick comments on the keystore document:

o  Section 2

  The text has:

   o  A semi-configurable list of private keys, each with one or more
      associated certificates.

  "semi-configurable" sound very odd.  What does it even mean?  I
  think the model needs to be designed so that it works with the
  normal configuration datastores that we have.  They are not
  "semi-configurable".   I suggest s/semi-//

o  Section 2

      Private keys MUST be either preinstalled
      (e.g., a key associated to an IDevID [Std-802.1AR-2009]
      certificate), be generated by request, or be loaded by request.

  What does this mean?   The text is on the form: MUST be a, b, or c.
  This seems to imply that there are other things (d, e ...) that it
  MUST NOT be.  What are those?

o  /keystore/keys/key

   I suggest the "INACCESSIBLE" enum is changed to something more
   descriptive, maybe "protected" or "tpm" or something similar.

   Also, what happens if a client creates a key with this enum set?  I
   assume it is ok, but the key can't be used until
   "generate-private-key" has been used?

o  /keystore/keys/key

  I assume that if the client creates a new key with
  "generate-private-key", it shows up in <operational>.  Then the
  client can create an entry in the config with the same name, in
  order to configure a certificate for example.

o  leaf algorithm-identifier

  Why is this config if it is only used when the key is generated?
  What happens if a client changes this on an existign key?

  The model has this which probably should be removed.

             // no 'params' like in RFC 5912? - none are set for
             // algs we care about, but what about the future?

  (there are some other comments that also should be removed, search
  for '//')

/martin