Subject: [Netconf] depth in get-data

From: Martin Bjorklund <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:37:25 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

There are some known issues with <get> and <get-config> that are
identified in Andy's old
draft-bierman-netconf-efficiency-extensions-00.  That draft also
proposes a new operation <get2> which addresses these issues.

The new generic <get-data> operation in
draft-ietf-netconf-nmda-netconf actually also addresses some of these
issues.

But there is one importnat thing that still is missing, and that is
the "depth" parameter, which can be used by the client to limit the
amount of data retrieved from a server.

Note that RESTCONF defines the "depth" parameter as well.

So I propose we add a leaf "depth" to the rpc "get-data", with the
same semantics as in RESTCONF:

     leaf depth {
       type union {
         type uint16 {
           range "1..65535";
         }
         type enumeration {
           enum "unbounded";
         }
       }
       default "unbounded";
       description
         "For each node selected by the filter, this parameter
          selects how many conceptual sub-tree levels should be
          returned in the reply.  If the depth is 1, the reply include
          just the selected nodes but no children.  If the depth is
          'unbounded', all descendant nodes are included.";
     }

/martin

---

From: Robert Wilton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 09:35:42 +0000

Yes, OK.

Rob

On 28/11/2017 08:37, Martin Bjorklund wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Netconf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netconf
> .
>

---

From: Andy Bierman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 13:30:52 -0800

I support adding a depth leaf to <get-data>

Andy