Subject: [netext] Question on I-D: draft-bernardos-mif-pmip-00.txt

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 22:25:01 +0200

Hello,

The I-D <draft-bernardos-mif-pmip-00.txt> states:

"   In the context of PMIPv6, current specification [RFC5213] does not
   address the case of a MIF node attaching to a PMIPv6 domain. We
   argue it is important to enable PMIPv6 to bring MIF nodes the
   advantages related to the simultaneous use of multiple interfaces.
   Moreover a MIF node could be seen as a not-modified host implementing
   the right technology for multi-interface handling.
"

RFC5213 does support a multi-interface host to connect to a PMIP6 domain. A
MIF host which attaches via multiple interfaces to a PMIP6 domain will be
assigned unique HNPs for each of the interfaces. A separate BCE is created
in the LMA for each interface. Hence I am not sure what you are refering to
in the I-D w.r.t MIF hosts attaching to a PMIP6 domain.

The use case in Sec 3 is a bit more illustrative of the problem statement
that you are trying to solve. The capability to move a flow between
interfaces is being dealt with as part of the flow mobility work. This is a
discussion item in the NetExt2 BoF at IETF75. The outcome of the BoF will
determine what we do in the NetExt WG w.r.t flow mobility.

The experiments that you have conducted on different OS' are interesting.

-Raj

---

From: Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:24:01 +0200

Hi Raj,

> in the I-D w.r.t MIF hosts attaching to a PMIP6 domain.

We are referring to use cases such as the one you mentions below.
Current PMIPv6 specification does not fully address how to support
multi-interfaces nodes, since a different mobility session is devoted
for each interface, this making some things (such as flow mobility) hard
to provide.

In addition a MIF node could help to meet the no-host-modifications
requirement as showed in the preliminary test we conducted.

> The experiments that you have conducted on different OS' are interesting.

Thanks, we plan to conduct more experiments in the future. We will
further compound the initial experiments with a complete solution
exploiting weak host model capabilities.

Carlos

> 
> -Raj
> 
> _______________________________________________
> netext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netext
-- 
Carlos Jesús Bernardos Cano     http://www.netcoms.net
GPG FP: D29B 0A6A 639A A561 93CA  4D55 35DC BA4D D170 4F67