Subject: [netext] Review of I-D: draft-wang-netext-trace-control-00

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 00:03:06 +0200

The I-D is basically proposing a means by which tracing of a PMIP6 mobility
session can be enabled.

IMO, tracing of a mobility session by an external network manager or similar
entity can be done without any changes to the PMIP6 protocol itself. Each
PMIP6 session is uniquely identified by the MN-ID/HNP assigned to it.

I realize that regulatory requirements may require the ability to trace a
mobility session on a demand basis. But this can be accomplished without
necessarily changing the protocol itself. Tracing the sessions of a specific
MN (identified by an MN-ID) can be controlled at the LMA.

I see no reason for specifying such an extension.

-Raj

---

From: Frank Xia <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:51:28 -0500

Hi Raj

It is very nice of you to comment so many drafts.

It seems to me that there is lacking momentum
of technical review in many IETF WGs.

Just as MEXT tries to have ground rules
for adopting WG documents,  NETEXT could
have new rules to inspire people for technical review.

A technical review group could be established in
the WG, and any one can be a member as long as he/she
commit  themselves to review documents in the WG
as many as possible.

BR
Frank

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 5:03 PM
Subject: [netext] Review of I-D: draft-wang-netext-trace-control-00

> _______________________________________________
> netext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netext

---

From: Yungui Wang <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:51:09 +0800

Hello

Thanks for your comments. Please see inline... 

> 
> IMO, tracing of a mobility session by an external network 
> manager or similar entity can be done without any changes to 
> the PMIP6 protocol itself. Each

Of course, the out of band signaling can be used by network
manager to trace per-MN mobility session, however the network
manger can not keep track of MN's location and also can not
perceive when the Per MN's mobility session is created or to which
LMA the MN is registered. Therefore it is hard to trace per MN
mobility session on demand or in real time.

> 
> I realize that regulatory requirements may require the 
> ability to trace a mobility session on a demand basis. But 
> this can be accomplished without necessarily changing the 
> protocol itself. Tracing the sessions of a specific MN 
> (identified by an MN-ID) can be controlled at the LMA.
> 

The difficulty to ask LMA to control tracing per MN's mobility
session is LMA does not know which MN's mobility session needs to
be traced and what trace parameters associated with per MN's
mobility session is. Therefore what LMA can do is to record and
report all the MN's mobility session to the network manager. In
many cases, it is not necessary to do that. Because it costs too
much to trace everything and report everying. What do you think of
it?

B.R.
Yungui