Subject: [netext] #3: Logical Interface: Use of the Virtual LLID

From: "netext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:16:20 -0000

#3: Logical Interface: Use of the Virtual LLID

 Clarify the use of virtual LLID and how this is used in the scope of
 PMIP6.
 Discuss the solution and propose text and ensure there is clear consensus
 before you can close this issue.

-- 
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  basavaraj.patil@…          |       Owner:  telemaco.melia@…                 
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new                              
 Priority:  critical                   |   Milestone:                                   
Component:  logical-interface-support  |     Version:                                   
 Severity:  -                          |    Keywords:                                   
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/netext/trac/ticket/3>
netext <http://tools.ietf.org/netext/>

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:35:23 -0800

> #3: Logical Interface: Use of the Virtual LLID

There were quite a few discussion on this among the authors. Looking things
are done WiMAX, CDMA and LTE. It appeared logical to allow both the use of a
neutral link-layer identifier, or adopt one of the link-layer identifier
from its sub-interfaces.  We may have to add some text around SEND
considerations. This section can go through some updates. Few need to
reflect few comments from Yokota-san and others ... Its not complete. It
shows where we are heading.

--
6.4.  Link-layer Identifier of a Logical Interface

   The logical Interface may or may not use the link-layer identifier
   from one of its sub-interfaces.  Following are the considerations.

   o  In access architectures where it is possible to adopt a virtual
      link-layer identfier and use it for layer-2 communications in any
      of the access networks, a virtual identifier (VLL-Id) may be used.
      The specifics on how that identifier is chosen is out side the
      scope of this document.  This identifier may be used for all link-
      layer communications.  This identifier may also be used for
      generating IPv6 global or link-local addresses on that interface.

   o  In access architectures, where the link-layer identifier is
      associated with a specific access technology, it will not be
      possible for the logical interface to adopt a virtual identifier
      and it use it across different access networks.  In such networks,
      the logical interface must adopt the identifier of the respective
      sub-interface through which a packet is being transmitted.
--

---

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:23:14 -0700

Sri -

I don't understand how this resolves the issue we discussed last time.
If an underlying link layer does not let you use an arbitrary link
layer identifier, what is the link layer identifier exposed by the
logical interface to the IP layer?

--julien

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:35 PM, Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> netext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netext
>