Subject: [netext] #6: Logical interface: MTU issues

From: "netext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 23:02:17 -0000

#6: Logical interface: MTU issues

 Question about the logical interface MTU:
    -> what is the logical interface MTU?
    -> How do handoffs between two underlying interfaces with dissimilar
 MTU impacts PMTUD, and transport protocols

-- 
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  basavaraj.patil@…          |       Owner:  telemaco.melia@…                 
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new                              
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:                                   
Component:  logical-interface-support  |     Version:                                   
 Severity:  Active WG Document         |    Keywords:                                   
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/netext/trac/ticket/6>
netext <http://tools.ietf.org/netext/>

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:13:58 -0800

> -> what is the logical interface MTU?
    -> How do handoffs between two
> underlying interfaces with dissimilar
 MTU impacts PMTUD, and transport
> protocols

-- 

Folks: The authors of this document have discussed this and resolve it with
the following text. Please comment, if you see any open issues. This should
handle all the cases.

6.2.  MTU considerations

   The link MTU (maximum transmission unit) value configured on a
   logical interface should be the lowest of the MTU values supported
   across any of the physical interfaces that are part of that logical
   interface construct.  The MTU value should be configured as part of
   the logical interface creation on the host.

   Furthermore, this value must be updated any time there is a change to
   the logical interface construct, such as when interfaces are added or
   deleted from the logical interface setup.  Any time there is an
   inter-technology handover between two access technologies, the
   applications on the host bound to the IP address configuration on the
   logical interface will not detect the change and will continue to use
   the MTU value of the logical interface for the outbound packets,
   which is never greater than the MTU value on that supported access
   network.  However, the access network may continue to deliver the
   packets conforming to the MTU value supported on that access
   technology and the logical interface should be able to receive those
   packets from the physical interface attached to that network.

Regards
Sri

> -> what is the logical interface MTU?
    -> How do handoffs between two
> underlying interfaces with dissimilar
 MTU impacts PMTUD, and transport
> protocols

-- 

> Reporter:  basavaraj.patil@Š          |       Owner:  telemaco.melia@Š
> 
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:
Component:  logical-interface-support  |     Version:
 Severity:  Active WG Document         |    Keywords:

netext
> <http://tools.ietf.org/netext/>

_____________________________________________
> __
netext mailing
> list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netext