Subject: [netext] #1: Behavior of ND

From: "netext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 22:05:20 -0000

#1: Behavior of ND

 At IETF79 there was a concern identified that the I-D did not clearly
 explain the behavior of ND in the case of the logical interface on a host.
 Please propose text that addresses this concern.

-- 
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  basavaraj.patil@…          |       Owner:  telemaco.melia@…                 
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new                              
 Priority:  major                      |   Milestone:                                   
Component:  logical-interface-support  |     Version:  1.0                              
 Severity:  Active WG Document         |    Keywords:  ND                               
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <https://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/netext/trac/ticket/1>
netext <http://tools.ietf.org/netext/>

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:17:42 -0800

> #1: Behavior of ND

Folks: The authors of this document have discussed this and resolve it with
the following text. Please comment, if you see any open issues. This
captures the ND interactions around logical interface, for various message
types. Might be missing one or two other details, we can capture them.

6.5.  ND Considerations for Logical Interface

   The following are the Neighbor Discovery related considerations for
   the logical interface.

   o  Any Neighbor Discovery messages, such as Router Solicitation,
      Neighbor Solicitation messages that the host sends to a multicast
      destination address of link-local scope such as, all-nodes, all-
      routers, solicited-node multicast group addresses, using either an
      unspecified (::) source address, or a link-local address
      configured on the logical interface will be replicated and
      forwarded on each of the sub-interfaces under that logical
      interface.  However, if the destination address is a unicast
      address and if that target is known to exist on a specific sub-
      interface, the message will be forwarded only on that specific
      sub-interface.

   o  Any Neighbor Discovery messages, such as Router Advertisement,
      that the host receives from any of its sub-interfaces, will be
      associated with the logical interface, i.e., in some
      implementations the message will appear on the input interface of
      the logical interface.

   o  When using Stateless Address Autoconfiguraion [RFC4862] for
      generating IPv6 address configuration on the logical interface,
      the host may use any of the IPv6 prefixes receieved from the
      Router Advertisement messages that it received from any of its
      sub-interfaces.

Melia & Gundavelli     Expires September 15, 2011              [Page 15]

Internet-Draft          Logical Interface Support             March 2011

   o  The response to a Neighbor Discovery message received for a
      unicast, link-specific multicast group address, will be sent on
      the same sub-interface path where the packet was received.

   o  When using DHCPv4 for obtaining address configuration for the
      logical interface, the value in the chaddr field in the DHCP
      messages will be based on the link-layer identfier scheme chosen
      by the logical interface.

   .