Subject: [netext] #5: Logical interface support: Multicast traffic

From: "netext issue tracker" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 17:19:02 -0000

#5: Logical interface support: Multicast traffic

 Clarify how the logical interface deals with multicast traffic.

-- 
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------
 Reporter:  basavaraj.patil@…          |       Owner:  telemaco.melia@…                 
     Type:  defect                     |      Status:  new                              
 Priority:  critical                   |   Milestone:                                   
Component:  logical-interface-support  |     Version:                                   
 Severity:  -                          |    Keywords:                                   
---------------------------------------+------------------------------------

Ticket URL: <http://trac.tools.ietf.org/wg/netext/trac/ticket/5>
netext <http://tools.ietf.org/netext/>

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:27:53 -0800

> #5: Logical interface support: Multicast traffic

 Clarify how the logical
> interface deals with multicast traffic.

We believe we have resolve this issue, this is captured in the ND
interactions section. The general considerations around dealing with
link-specific multicast traffic, all-nodes, solicited node multicast
traffic, or others have common considerations. It is possible we might be
missing few cases, we can add that in, but the base handling of things at
the logical interface level, or sub-interface level is captured. Comments
welcome.

Sri

> #5: Logical interface support: Multicast traffic

 Clarify how the logical
> interface deals with multicast traffic.

--

> Reporter:  basavaraj.patil@Š          |       Owner:  telemaco.melia@Š
> 
 Priority:  critical                   |   Milestone:
Component:  logical-interface-support  |     Version:
 Severity:  -                          |    Keywords:

netext
> <http://tools.ietf.org/netext/>

_____________________________________________
> __
netext mailing
> list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netext

---

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:25:07 -0700

Sri -

Multicast traffic isn' t limited to ND, thus I don' t think it is
appropriate to consider this issue as closed because you crafter some
text on ND considerations elsewhere in this document. Please clarify
how tranmission on multicast traffic is handled over a logical
interface.

--julien

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 4:27 PM, Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> netext mailing list
> [email-masked]

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:43:25 -0800

Julien:

Agree. I did put that note below that we should add any additional cases.
The text around handling link-specific multicast traffic with different
destination scopes covers most of the common multicast cases, ALL-NODES,
SOLICTED-NODE... We can add any missing cases and resolve it. Any specific
case you are thinking about ? We can generalize the case and make it apply
for ND and non-ND cases.

Regards
Sri

---

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 18:52:46 -0700

The case I have in mind is: IP stack wants to send a packet to
multicast address M;  How is it transmitted?

--julien

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 19:00:21 -0800

If you can define the destination scope, link-specific non-link-specific ?
We have covered link-specific cases in the ND context (which can be
generalized), non-link specific ? May be if you can reflect the issue that
you are thinking, that will help resolve the issue.

Sri

>>>>> interface deals with multicast traffic.
---------------------------------------+----------------------------------->>>>
-
>>>> Component:  logical-interface-support  |     Version:
---------------------------------------+----------------------------------->>>>
-

---

From: "MELIA, TELEMACO (TELEMACO)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:04:41 +0100

Julien, is the question about global multicast traffic?

telemaco 

-----Message d'origine-----
De : [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] De la part de Sri Gundavelli
Envoyé : mardi 15 mars 2011 04:00
À : Julien Laganier
Cc : [email-masked]
Objet : Re: [netext] #5: Logical interface support: Multicast traffic

If you can define the destination scope, link-specific non-link-specific ?
We have covered link-specific cases in the ND context (which can be generalized), non-link specific ? May be if you can reflect the issue that you are thinking, that will help resolve the issue.

Sri

On 3/14/11 5:52 PM, "Julien Laganier" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> The text around handling link-specific multicast traffic with 
>> different destination scopes covers most of the common multicast 
>> cases, ALL-NODES, SOLICTED-NODE... We can add any missing cases and 
>> resolve it. Any specific case you are thinking about ? We can 
>> generalize the case and make it apply for ND and non-ND cases.
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> Regards
>> Sri
>> 
>> 
>> 
>> 
>>> appropriate to consider this issue as closed because you crafter 
>>> some text on ND considerations elsewhere in this document. Please 
>>> clarify how tranmission on multicast traffic is handled over a 
>>> logical interface.
>>> 
>>> --julien
>>> 
>>>> interactions section. The general considerations around dealing 
>>>> with link-specific multicast traffic, all-nodes, solicited node 
>>>> multicast traffic, or others have common considerations. It is 
>>>> possible we might be missing few cases, we can add that in, but the 
>>>> base handling of things at the logical interface level, or 
>>>> sub-interface level is captured. Comments welcome.
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> Sri
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>> 
>>>>

---

From: Julien Laganier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 09:15:10 -0700

We have to deal with the general problem. If there are subcases, let's
deal with all of the subcases, sure. As to link-local, as I said in my
other note multicast traffic isn' t limited to ND thus I don't believe
you have covered them.

--julien

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 17:17:15 -0800

We have captured this under ND. Its a valid point, that ND is just one
sub-case of multicast usage. We should have sub section specific to
multicast and we can present this in a generic way. That's fine, we will
write up some text for this and resolve it.

Sri

On 3/15/11 8:15 AM, "Julien Laganier" <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> ---------------------------------------+----------------------------------->>
>> >>
>> -
>>>>>> 
>> ---------------------------------------+----------------------------------->>
>> >>
>> -
>>>>>> 
>>>>>>>