Subject: [netext] Questions for RFC 5213

From: Aaron Feng <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 16:55:08 +0800

Hi! I'm now studying PMIPv6, and I'm confused about whether PMIPv6 can
support multicast protocol and need some help. I tried to send multicast
data orginated by MN to the MAG, but without fowarding multicast data to the
LMA through LMA-MAG tunnel, MAG just discarded the multicast data packets
even though I had run the multicast protocol. Here's my question. In RFC
5213, it says "On receiving a packet from a mobile node connected to its
access link, to a destination that is not directly connected, the
packet MUST be forwarded to the local mobility anchor through the
bidirectional tunnel established between itself and the mobile node’s local
mobility anchor." According to it, maybe LMA will discard the multicast data
for not having multicast forwarding stare but the MAG should forward
packets. Does it mean PMIPv6 is just for unicast or the source code I used
isn't consistent with what you mean? And what is the rules of MAG fowarding
packets from MN?  I'm very appreciated for your help!

                                With best regards
                                                 Aaron

---

From: Sri Gundavelli <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 04:33:47 -0700

Hi Aaron,

Enabling multicast services in a PMIPv6 domain should naturally work, with
no new considerations. It is true, RFC-5213 did not go into those details.
However, multimob WG has sufficiently worked on this problem and they are
exploring every optimization. I do not know what implementation of MAG/LMA
you are using, but the issue is specific to that implementation. I suggest,
you look at the specs in multimob WG.

Regards
Sri

On 5/25/11 1:55 AM, "Aaron Feng" <[email-masked]> wrote:

> support multicast protocol and need some help. I tried to send multicast data
> orginated by MN to the MAG, but without fowarding multicast data to the LMA
> through LMA-MAG tunnel, MAG just discarded the multicast data packets even
> though I had run the multicast protocol. Here's my question. In RFC 5213, it
> says "On receiving a packet from a mobile node connected to its access link,
> to a destination that is not directly connected, the packet MUST be forwarded
> to the local mobility anchor through the bidirectional tunnel established
> between itself and the mobile node¹s local mobility anchor." According to it,
> maybe LMA will discard the multicast data for not having multicast forwarding
> stare but the MAG should forward packets. Does it mean PMIPv6 is just for
> unicast or the source code I used isn't consistent with what you mean? And
> what is the rules of MAG fowarding packets from MN?  I'm very appreciated for
> your help! 
>  
>                                 With best regards
>                                                  Aaron
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> netext mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/netext

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 09:26:56 -0700 (PDT)

>Re: [netext] Questions for RFC 5213 Hi Aaron,
>
>Enabling multicast services in a PMIPv6 domain should naturally work, with no 
>new considerations. It is true, RFC-5213 did not go into those details. However, 
>
>multimob WG has sufficiently worked on this problem and they are exploring every 
>
>optimization. I do not know what implementation of MAG/LMA you are using, but 
>the issue is specific to that implementation. I suggest, you look at the specs 
>in multimob WG.

Yes, please join Multimob Working Group mailing list and post your question 
there.

And then see what happens.

Regards,

Behcet
>says "On receiving a packet from a mobile node connected to its access link, to 

>a destination that is not directly connected, the packet MUST be forwarded to 
>the local mobility anchor through the bidirectional tunnel established between 
>itself and the mobile node’s local mobility anchor." According to it, maybe LMA 

>will discard the multicast data for not having multicast forwarding stare but 
>the MAG should forward packets. Does it mean PMIPv6 is just for unicast or the 
>source code I used isn't consistent with what you mean? And what is the rules of 
>
>MAG fowarding packets from MN?  I'm very appreciated for your help! 
>> 
>>                                With best regards
>>                                                 Aaron
>>
>>________________________________