Subject: [netext] Fwd: Netext WG summary from IETF85

From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 06:35:11 -0600

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Basavaraj Patil <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM
Subject: Netext WG summary from IETF85
To: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]

Hi Brian,

Please find below the Netext WG summary from IETF85.

Rgds,
-Raj

Summary of Netext WG meeting at IETF85
--------------------------------------

The Netext WG met at IETF85 on Monday November 5th from 1520-1720
PM. The meeting was chaired by Basavaraj Patil. Rajeev Koodli was
unable to attend this meeting because of his travel to Europe for
another critical business meeting.

The WG has made progress in the last 3 months and has published two
RFCs (6705 and 6757). The I-D: draft-ietf-netext-pmipv6-sipto-option
is now awaiting IESG approval. Additionally the I-D:
draft-ietf-netext-rfc5149bis has completed WG last call and will be
sent to the IESG shortly.

The working group I-D which specifies the logical interface was
discussed at the meeting. There is still more work that needs to be
done on this document. There is a fundamental difference of opinion on
what this document really needs to capture and specify especially
given that it is an informational specification. Authors and chairs
will work on this and attempt to make progress.

The flow mobility specification I-D (draft-ietf-netext-pmipv6-flowmob)
has been revised by Carlos Bernardos (Editor). However there are still
some concerns by a WG member. We will setup an issue tracker for this
I-D and resolve the issues through reviews and WG consensus.

The prefix delegation I-D (draft-ietf-netext-pd-pmip) is ready for
submission and it will go to WG last call after the meeting.

The QoS for PMIP6 I-D (draft-ietf-netext-pmip6-qos) also needs further
reviews and updates. There are a lot of open questions and issues with
this I-D at the moment. The authors mentioned that this I-D is also
relevant to 3GPP specifications. Chairs think that more clarity is
needed in terms of how QoS signaling is done with PMIP6 messages.

Several new proposals were also put forth for consideration before the
WG. The I-D draft-krishnan-netext-update-notifications proposes a
method by which the LMA can send unsolicited messages to the MAG to
change the status of a session or do other administrative things. This
I-D is also needed by 3GPP and the 3GPP liason (Atle) has sent a
request to the AD and the WG chairs. There is consensus in the WG to
adopt this I-D. Chairs will do a consensus call on the mailing list
and then move forward. A response to Atle (3GPP liason) will be
proposed to Brian (AD) by the chairs.

Other proposals including the applicability of QoS in a WiFi
environment as well as Mobile MAG were discussed. Many of these are
preliminary and will need more discussion and convincing on the
mailing list before they can be considered.

At the present time the working group is making good progress and
there are no major concerns.

-- 
Basavaraj Patil